treen sailor?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barnidoyll

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of the nationality & period of this odd looking sailor by the style of his dress. Thanks for your time..Barnidoyll. PS i have checked the name you give me and it is definitley Daikoku mantra God of wealth & farmers in japanese Buddhism. He is one of seven lucky gods called a Tenbu. Thanks again for your interest & time...Brian

Wu61201.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61201.jpg
    Wu61201.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 104

deepwoods

Reaction score
barn - This looks VERY similar to some buddhist figures Ive seen - my bet is that its oriental. Check with someone familiar with eastern art/antiquities.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Barny,
Tried to reply yesterday morning before work but was strangely "logged out" by the time I finished typing[>:][:mad:]As Deepwoods says,it definately appears oriental,and his 2 bags twigged something from when I was researching my tattoos,DAIKOKU is one of Japan's Seven Gods Of Fortune(Shichi-fuku-jin).He is the god of wealth and guardian of farmers.He is shown as a fat and happy man,carrying a mallet,a bag of treasures and depicted (usually) sitting on Two bags of rice.What's he carrying on his belt?Anything that could pass for a mallet and bag?Could also posssibly be EDISU,another of the seven gods,(depending what else he is carrying)patron of fishermen and tradesmen.

Might be able to tell you more with a closeup of his belt.

KAT

barnidoyll

Reaction score
Very grateful to both Deepwoods and Bigkitty for your help.Quite amazing so far.
I have taken closeups of bag as you suggested Kat, hope it will help you to help me.
Thanks ..Brian

Ay74463.jpg

Attachments

• Ay74463.jpg
    Ay74463.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 96

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member