Trip to the Corning Glass Museum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GIVEING ME A CHANCH TO SEE SUCH WONDERFUL BOTTLES AND I HAVE A FEW MARBLES LIKE SOME OF THE ONES YOU SHOWED! COOL!MAN I WOULD LOVE THE JOB OF ORGANIZING ALL THAT!COURSE I WOULD NEED TO KNOW ALOT MORE THAN I DO NOW.MAN WHAT HARD WORK PEOPLE HAD TO DO TO GET US THESE BEAUTIFUL BOTTLES! AT LEAST THEY WOULD BE GLAD TO KNOW WE TAKE THEIR WORK AS WORKS OF ART! AGAIN THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES!!! JAMIE OH AND DANG A LATE HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Mike O, All I can say is WOW! You have shown a big reason for every person that is into bottle collecting should find a way to get to this museum, check out their favorite glass of interest and absorb a fantastic appreciation for what they get to see. My summer home is about 28 miles from this museum. I try to get there two times per summer. One of those times is spent in their Museum Library and the special exhibit of Frederick Carders glass work. I have an important glass friend in the Netherlands that is planning a trip to my summer place to take in this museum. He is involved with a museum in the Netherlands that helped me with the capacity markings on my recent involvement with a large green demijohn.

The most unique thing about your post is you have a bottle to match the Lafayette American Flask. Is the parting line similar to what this mold would have produced? I am working on a homepage blog that refers to Mold Metals and the reactions of different mold metals to the appearance of the glass bottle surface appearance. I especially like this mold because it is an early EARLY shell mold in my opinion. The advantage of this mold set-up is the fact that the brass would remove heat rapidly from the glass blown against the surface. Thus setting the glass surface, without any Cold Mold Ripple, that would have occurred in a full thickness mold of either brass or cast iron. While I was involved with experimental molds we made some molds for a ketchup that were made of 1/8th inch of electro-formed nickle backed up with 1/4" of pure copper. These were then mounted in cut out cast iron mold hangers and made bottles without any machining in the cavity. This work was done on a Double Gob I-S Machine. We also made some Ancient Age Gin Bottles that had completely stippled cavities with cave man symbols in the stippling. These were made with the same metal electroforms. The project was to expensive and dropped. But They Worked!

Well I am going to be timed out - so I will be back to watch the interest of other Forum members. Thanks, and I apprecieate what your wonderful wife gave you for a bithtday! RED Matthews

ajohn

Reaction score
Wow ! What a cool birthday present!!!!You must have been a good boy lately!
A-John

beendiggin

Reaction score
Mike O, Happy b-day and I think we all should give you an A+ on your report...That was a great gift, thanks for the pics ....I went to the Jones Museum of Glass in I think Standish? Maine and that was cool, been to the National Bottle Museum in Ballston Spa, NY, and that was cool, but now I have got to see Corning! Really nice!

beendiggin

Reaction score
For the ACL soda lovers

I love seeing that Downeast Beverages acl...I have dug a lot of those over the years. Probably my favorite acl from Maine.

tigue710

Reaction score
hey Mikey, that is a most considerate gift! very cool... Man I'd love to go there. I'm surprised to see and hear how everything is just sort of shoved in there with out much of a description.. Sounds like any old bottle collection although there are some great pieces... I would expect a brief history on every bottle though... it is a museum right? Looked like some of the back lighting was out too?

What is going on with the punty rod? Is it a picture to give you an idea of what the oven looked liked?

lets see your marble!

mikmis

Reaction score
mike,
what a great birthday present, looks like it was alot of fun .thanks for sharing the pics and happy birthday.

Mike O

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

hey Mikey, that is a most considerate gift! very cool... Man I'd love to go there. I'm surprised to see and hear how everything is just sort of shoved in there with out much of a description.. Sounds like any old bottle collection although there are some great pieces... I would expect a brief history on every bottle though... it is a museum right? Looked like some of the back lighting was out too?

What is going on with the punty rod? Is it a picture to give you an idea of what the oven looked liked?

lets see your marble!
Here is a picture of the ornamate that I made, The had to put it in a cooling oven for 24 hours so they have to ship it to me this week. I would not say that everything was just shouved into the cases but for a bottle collector we would have done it differently. They are more about "glass" in general so the bottle thing is just a part of it all.

C3A1B0BA9A184A9F8836892B98981F92.jpg

Attachments

• C3A1B0BA9A184A9F8836892B98981F92.jpg
    C3A1B0BA9A184A9F8836892B98981F92.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 72

Mike O

Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads