Truck

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
Always check the frame really good on new england vehicles!

epackage

Reaction score
Have the Trans looked at before you buy it, you don't want to drive it 100 miles and find out you need $1,000 to install a rebuilt tranny....

Make sure to do all the maintainence on it on a regular basis, use an oil for high mileage vehicles, grease every fitting you can get to and check the shocks. They are a fairly cheap fix and make a big difference in ride quality. I was on E-Bay and got all 4 Monroe Shocks for my work vans at $10 each, so look into that stuff for sure...Jim

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] And A BIG while you are at it, PULL all the brake drums and check out what is going to need replacing, Ifn ya cant stop ya shouldnt be goin!!!!!!!!!

tigue710

Reaction score
you can get a tranny for that truck at any junk yard for 100-200 bucks... its a great truck, 68 was a very good year for Chevy... I think there's a little to much rust if the floor pan is bad... to pass inspection all you need are seat belts, lights and good brakes. you dont need emissions on that truck... maintenance is a breeze with those baby's too. No electronic crap to fuddle you up. Get the Haynes manual and read it like a preacher reads the bible. You'll need to learn about timing adjustment, eventually valve adjustment, and your ignition system and you'll be good to go! Pretty basic engine over all, no matter whether its a 305 or 350.

Distributor cap and rotor, ignition wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter oil and oil filter should all be changed regularly, keep up with the basic and it'll run forever. Get some carb cleaner too, keeping your intake clean avoids a lot of problems

You'll probably want to run over the vacuum system for bad hose too...

here's my last 350, right after I built it! Put this into a gmc 2500, Gawd I miss that truck!

Attachments

• 474BC0275DA641A4A58BFEB11876B344.jpg
    474BC0275DA641A4A58BFEB11876B344.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 73

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

you can get a tranny for that truck at any junk yard for 100-200 bucks...
That's fine if he has the skills to remove and reinstall the used one, I'll stick with the $1,000 cost in total...[;)]

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

That's fine if he has the skills to remove and reinstall the used one, I'll stick with the $1,000 cost in total...[;)]
Remove the transmission mount, (two bolts, one on either sida and drops down. Place a floor jack with a piece of 2x6 under the transmission and secure in place, with the tranny balance equally on jack, (note, do not jack up the transmission), Disconnect the U joint at the transfer case on the rear axle, and slide the axle shaft out of transmission. Disconnect the splash shield from bottom of transmission by removing the four bolts holding it in place. slide down and out. Disconnect shift linkage from transmission, disconnect the odometer cable. Now remove the five bolts attaching the transmission bell housing to the engine. With assistance if possible now slide the transmission down and back from the engine. Reverse for installation, buy new seals for transmission.

note, when replacing a transmission always replace it with the tork converter. If used from a junk yard get the tork converter with the transmission. The tork converter simply slides over the differential shaft and is attached to the flywheel on the engine with four bolts. Be sure to fill it with transmission fluid before installing.

inspect your main rear seal while your at it also.

I've done it in 3 hours in the rain in a dirt driveway... Its a little less complicated then setting up a Wii

epackage

Reaction score

I've done it in 3 hours in the rain in a dirt driveway... Its a little less complicated then setting up a Wii
Changing it for me isn't an issue, I don't know if the kid knows what he's doing...[;)]

tigue710

Reaction score
Im Just ribbin ya Jim, but I bet he could do it, and its a heck of a lot of money for what is an afternoon of work in the garage! this is actually the procedure for an automatic too which could be different from the manual...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: epackage

Remove the transmission mount, (two bolts, one on either sida and drops down. Place a floor jack with a piece of 2x6 under the transmission and secure in place, with the tranny balance equally on jack, (note, do not jack up the transmission), Disconnect the U joint at the transfer case on the rear axle, and slide the axle shaft out of transmission. Disconnect the splash shield from bottom of transmission by removing the four bolts holding it in place. slide down and out. Disconnect shift linkage from transmission, disconnect the odometer cable. Now remove the five bolts attaching the transmission bell housing to the engine. With assistance if possible now slide the transmission down and back from the engine. Reverse for installation, buy new seals for transmission.

note, when replacing a transmission always replace it with the tork converter. If used from a junk yard get the tork converter with the transmission. The tork converter simply slides over the differential shaft and is attached to the flywheel on the engine with four bolts. Be sure to fill it with transmission fluid before installing.

inspect your main rear seal while your at it also.

You could go that way but you'll need all the linkage, drive shaft and probably a new steering column. I'd stick with your #7.[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks