Truck

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle_head9

Reaction score
I believe your truck could have one of three engines.It is either a 307, a 396 or a 327. All are v-8`s and are very easy to maintain and get filters, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and oil for. Six cylinders were offered that year, but would have been only offered with a 3-speed on the colum or an automatic transmission.It would be interesting to know what engine you have.I`m sure it is a 307, but could be the more desireable 396 or 327.As others have said, these older vehicles are really simple to work on.The things you would have most trouble with are rusty bolts and such.Get a good penetrating oil, such as W-D 40 or Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster.Make sure the truck runs, drives and stops well.Make sure the Emergency brake works, and make sure it doesn`t smoke after it runs a couple minutes.Getting it to pass inspection shouldn`t be too difficult. Wipers, horn, lights and small rust holes are easy fixes.A junk yard is a good source for used parts.The C-20 is a 3/4 ton truck which will haul at least what a 1 ton truck of today will haul.I`ve owned several old chevy pick ups, they`re good trucks Good luck..

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
bottle-head,
Thanks for the tips. The truck is a 250, 6 cylinder engine. We haven't been able to test the truck yet, it needs batteries.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's an a OK motor for some cars I think. Trucks though are a different story.
What do you plan to haul? Is it just small around town light loads? It may have trouble getting out of it's own way let alone carry a load. You'll find yourself blowing through clutches
Still, it free so don't look at the gift horse in the mouth. An engine swap will be easy. Go to a V8, the sixes actually got worse MPG's due to being under powered for the weight. I ran into that in my '69 AMC Rebel.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Ryan, I didn`t realize the 6 cylinders were combined with four speed trannys that year. The straight sixes were known for their reliability for sure.Being a four speed, I would imagine first gear is very low( granny gear).You probably won`t be starting out using first gear very often.Eric is right about clutches.Make sure the clutch is good, although changing one isn`t too difficult as others have stated. Would you mind telling how much they are asking for the truck?If you would rather not say, thats fine, but would not like you to pay too much for a truck that might need a lot of work.Being a New England truck, salt can raise hell on vehicles.Again, good luck!!

tigue710

Reaction score
hmmm, a six in there? its a little Nova! Yeah check for that smoke, if its a beater with a bad motor its no good...

Hey Eric, my #7? You lost me...

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] Hey Ryan dont let the six scare ya off I had a sixty three with a six and four speed tranny and it had good get up and go plus it got good gas milage 22 or so ifn ya didnt beat it. great for just jammin around town and an occasional haul job....

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hey Eric, my #7? You lost me...
His list of +'s had number 7 as a standard. You were talking about torque converters which, maybe it's just my old school, a standard gear box doesn't have.
Conversion to an automatic is a bit of a headache but is possible.
Sorry for the confusion.

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry about the delay. Turns out my Dad has already bought the truck. Quarter 4 has started and I have a 91 in my Latin class now. I also need to get honours in my other classes as well, which I am doing.

Eric,
One of the reasons I chose a standard is because of the transmission. My friend's brother has a 1985 Dodge step-side pickup, and the transmission just went. I don't have to worry about that with a standard.

I also found out that we might be registering it as an antique. One of my friends has a 1981 station wagon. He registered it as an antique for $12.

Thanks for all of the tips.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Bottles r LEET

Hey guys, sorry about the delay. Turns out my Dad has already bought the truck. Quarter 4 has started and I have a 91 in my Latin class now. I also need to get honours in my other classes as well, which I am doing.
Good to hear Ryan, keep up the great work..

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
Well, my truck came home last weekend, after the owner did some work on it and put the battery in it. I got to drive it at my Dad's gravel pit for the first time. Right now it's in the shop because the brakes didn't work right. It will also need four new tires, then the little bit of body work, new glass in the mirrors, and it will be on the road. It won't go on the highway much though, it doesn't go much over 45 mph.

F0A7015ADE5E49C1881F91BAE3E18FAE.gif

Attachments

• F0A7015ADE5E49C1881F91BAE3E18FAE.gif
    F0A7015ADE5E49C1881F91BAE3E18FAE.gif
    43.7 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member