Tuesdays afternoon Dig!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
WOW! Way to go! Great jug! I've found so many pieces of the years. You are in my old stomping grounds from when I was a kid in the 1970s, when I first started digging in Hanover Mass as a boy. Never made it over to Bridgewater to dig. Figure I was riding my bicycle or walking to go bottle digging.
The W.E Bonney Ink factory was in Hanover down on Broadway. It is a house now, still standing. That is just a few miles from Bridgewater. I always wondered if there was a cache of there bottles somewhere.

Congrats on the great digs. i got out digging and only took home 4 fruit jar zinc bands, no whole bottles. Great time for scouting out dumps

madman

Reaction score
HEY DANIEL VERY NICE DIGS! NICE VARIETY!

bottle109

Reaction score
Just want to thank all of you for your compliments!!
hitting the sack , hope I have another good dig tomorrow before the rains come. I will post if I do!!
let's dig'em,good hunting to all.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Super discovery! The other finds are nice, but that jug is sweet! Is it from Fort Edward, NY? If so that probably makes it a lot better than one from NYC! Can you read what business it is from?

THE BADGER

Reaction score
way to go 109,beautiful jug and i also love those stoneware beers.i had found one in a dump last year and couldnt believe it was whole also.but at the end of the dig i lost it in the flip but my digging buddy got it so i can see it whenever i want.if you ever get any stoneware beers that you want to sell let me know.good luck digging in that dump and keep showing the pics. later the badger

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Daniel,

Congatulations on a great Tuesday Dig. That jug is spectacular. What is the impressing?
2761496291DA42988B13D144CB6A7B74.jpg

Puroxia (Ginger Ale?)

This I like a lot, as well. Is it a blob or an early crown finish? From what I've gathered, Pureoxia was Ginger Ale, Root Beer, and distilled water brought to you by the folks that made Moxie.

263_1261667707A.jpg
From.
pureoxia.jpg
From.
IMG_1873.jpg
From.
F4344AC9B28E4B558A95AA836C66289C.jpg
From Anna/bigghouse https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-120870/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#120875

There's a Pureoxia ad on fleabay now.
pureoxia-open.jpg
From.

There's an amusing story in the November 8,1901 NY Times about an epic food fight at Harvard, in which, Pureoxia played a key role. "Pureoxia! Pureoxia! Rah, rah, rah; rah, rah, rah; rah, rah, pureoxia!" A preview of Animal House like incidents to come...

vlake.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello again, Daniel,

I think you've got a good one, in that jug. I found some information on New York Stoneware Co. There was a tradition of stoneware pottery in Fort Edward. "The manufacture of stoneware was a major industry in Fort Edward beginning in 1858. Otto Lewis was the first potter to locate here with many firms being formed soon after. George Satterlee opened the Fort Edward Pottery Co. in 1859. Michael Mory joined the firm in 1861 to form Satterlee and Mory. J. A. & C. W. Underwood ran a pottery firm, which opened in 1865 and closed in 1867. Haxstun, Ottman & Co. ran it from 1867 to 1872 on the site of the former Underwood Pottery. In 1872, Haxstun withdrew from Ottman and the firm became known as Ottman Brothers.

In 1875, a pottery opened on the corner of Broadway and Argyle Street under the ownership of Haxstun and Company. Later it was purchased by the Tilford Brothers, who were succeeded by George S. Guy. The Fort Edward Stoneware Association was formed in February of 1883 by a group of pottery manufacturers. In 1892, the Hilfinger Brothers purchased the Guy Pottery, which was to remain in operation until 1941. Unlike the former stoneware manufactures, the Hilfinger produced earthenware pottery from native clay." From Ft. Edward History.

There's a Floral Jug in a BIN sale for $250 on fleabay now.

12-01.jpg
Another lovely floral
from here,

0515_1_lg.jpg
Watch the birdy.

Some heady company;
d5030618x.jpg
from Christie's. Part of a larger auction of The Collection Of Marguerite And Arthur Riordan, Stonington, Connecticut.

Fort%2BEdward%2B1763.jpg
Perhaps you saw this news story from last August on a dredging mishap in the Hudson River. "A piece of historic Fort Edward, site of the Great Carrying Place portage between the Hudson River and Lake George and prominent in the history of the French and Indian War and the American Revolution, is reported to have been brought up while dredging the Hudson River for PCBs according to the Glens Falls Post Star.

"Neal Orsini said he was awakened at 4 a.m. by the noise of a clamshell dredge pulling the piece of wood, which he estimated to be about 14 feet long, from his property," the paper reported. "There was a breakdown somewhere in the system and they took a piece of old Fort Edward out of the bank they weren’t supposed to be touching," Orsini said, "It was really loud."

Orsini also told the paper that a clamshell dredge removed a section of riverbank. "It left a gaping hole in my river bank," he said. The paper is reporting that archeologists are on the scene and a "survey is being performed on the pieces taken from the area." From.

bearHarlow-.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4