Tumbled bottles turning translucent gray

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Brent, If you use the 1200 slow cut silicon carbide cutter you have nothing to worry about. After 2 weeks it breaks down to a regular polish. After I use the 1200 cut, I rinse it thourghly till the water runs clear. NO problems, I personally like the "old" copper myself, less micro-chipping till the copper wears in...Have you tried the bottle tumblers forum they might also have some info for you. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bottletumbling/

azokie

Reaction score
Yes Taz I have actually run the 1200 grit for 9 or 10 days and the bottle sometimes comes out perfect. I have had no problems with the 1200 grit compound. My problem is only happening when I start with the aluminum oxide polishing compound.

Thanks for the link to the yahoo forum - I didn't know it existed.

Sincerely -
Brent

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
copper is used for the purpose of pushing the oxide against the glass. the edge may help some but I will tell you something. I tumbled a new piece for a friend and it came out frosted and still frosted and on and on this went, I tried putting just a little ribbon of copper in the vase so it would just sit there and not tumble over it's self and it was still frosted inside,
the problem was that the slope inside the vase caused me to add the copper so it did tumble over it's self.
So what was the answer how was i going to get this piece polished inside. the copper was chipping the glass in very micro flakes and it made it look like frosting.

crushed walnuts, no water, no oxide, just crushed walnut shells. you have to buy them from any company that sells them., but they work great on brittle glass and will work on other stuff to. I have tried them on everything but they dont work on the tough stuff. they do work great if you want to put a great final touch on any bottle or jar. and no mess or washing.

my point is. the edge on copper does nothing that i know of. i have my same copper from day one. and it's been 3 + years now.

keep it seprate that is best. untill you get the hang of washing it with the acid wash, water acid, dawn soap, very little muratic to water and soap soak it for a little while while stirring it, pout out rinse and rinse and rinse. make sure all soap is off or you wil lhave a blow out. ok this is to long of a note.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks