Tumbler noise dampening advice please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Two of my three kids have (finally) moved out enough for there to be a small bottle room, the problem being that it is upstairs. By simply closing doors we've eliminated the majority of noise EXCEPT for directly below the tumbler...which is over our computer. Do you have any advice for dampening the vibration coming through the floor to the room below?

Thanks and happy holidays,
Barbara

suzanne

Reaction score
Motors don't vibrate, all their motion is circular. If it is making noise the bearings are probably wearing out. You should make sure it is securely mounted on whatever you mounted on, and bolted to the floor would be good too.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Anything that moves is going to vibrate and resonate though every thing it's in contact with. Even a light bulb vibrates at the 60 hz it runs on. I think it was Tesla that tried to accomplish bringing a building down with one of his doomsday machines.
The best you can do is dampen it with insulation underneath or suspend the whole thing with bungies (or something) connected to the ceiling. Try to tighten the belt to smooth out belt lash if that's the cause.

Wangan

Reaction score
We used to hang stereos so that the albums wouldnt skip when everyone was jumping up and down to the music.I would think that would work better than rubber feet like they use on generators and compressors.Also,if you can somewhat encase the motor in an insulated box,or maybe the whole rig,that will help cut the noise.The roller bearings shouldnt be making much noise anyway,but a little oil or grease (if they have grease nipples) wouldnt hurt.Worse case scenario,move the computer.[&o]

chosi

Reaction score
Here's my not-so-elegant solution:
I took some thick carpet insulation, put it under the tumbler, then built a box and glued carpet insulation to the inside of the box. It was a lot of work and it only slightly muffles the sound of the tumbler.

I also make adjustments often. Things like adjusting the drive belt, making the whole thing more level (or sometimes less level) can make a big improvement, but they don't last long.

B90E9CC3A6844B38B38140C39B2BE4A3.jpg

Attachments

• B90E9CC3A6844B38B38140C39B2BE4A3.jpg
    B90E9CC3A6844B38B38140C39B2BE4A3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 95

chosi

Reaction score
Thanks woody.

By the way, the other thing I did to reduce tumbler noise was add weatherstripping around the door to the room where my tumbler is. Plugging the small cracks helps reduce noise a bit.

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Wow...once you get Chosi's link right you go to a beautifully organized and photographed site!

The noise problem is diminished. Yesterday we had Lowe's sound boards on the table top with leftover pieces of 3/8" thick specialized automotive foam insulation from our son sandwiched in-between, which didn't work well. Today we sacrificed one of the kids' left-behind twin mattress pads, putting a melamine board and then a rug over the pad....success!

Many thanks for the help,
Barbara

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski