Tumbling an iron pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
I just got a nice pontiled Eagle Works Philada with all of the graphite remaining. I want to tumble it and also keep the pontil intact but was wondering how to do this. I usually just stick them in there and let it come off but I would like to try to save this one. I herd a while back about sticking a rubber ball between the pontil and the stopper? Any help would appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Pontiled

Reaction score
If it's really a nice graphite pontil, you might want to use both a ball, as mentioned, and masking tape or similar tape that should hold up when wet. Usually I use masking tape or nylon-filiment packing tape.

Good luck!

capsoda

Reaction score
I put finger nail polish and then duct tape. Finger nail polish is darn near bullit proof and comes off easely with acitone. Adding a ball after the duct tape sould do it.

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
i use silputty and form it to the base and then use a small rubber ball or other pieces of the silputty from before to hold the new stuff in place so it rest on the fingers and holds it tight. i did post somethng with pictures a while back on this subjuct, but thats what i do, and it works great,good luck

rick kern

slimdigger

Reaction score
A friend of mine who collects pontiled sodas uses a golf ball. It has worked excellent on the bottles he has tumbled.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles