Two Babbs on the bay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Funny how the ebay drifts...these two are now within a buck of each other.

Lordbud

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

Those are great bottles. Are you the seller or watching them to bid???

Nope, I'd be only too glad to be the seller (come in handy right about now with my current paycheck going towards rent), but I'm keeping my Babb & Co that "displays mint" with a base chip.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I know the seller of the second Babb's very well, and he don't lie. Although those are very common, nevertheless, they are a Gold Rush artifact and not coming to light like they once were. We dug dozens of them "back in the day", but where are they now? Hiding in collections, of course. If I wanted a nice example, that one would fill the need nicely.

sloughduck

Reaction score
Ok, Here's what I can tell you about APHotaling.I have sold to him and bought from him.This bottle could be untumbled;I have dug these where they come out shiny mint,where other bottles in the same hole are sick.Good glass versus cheap glass.I can also tell you this person collects California whiskey fifth's and flasks.His collection is outstanding.I don't think he even holds on to soda's very long,its not his area of collecting.I think his collections value is probably $750,000.00 to $1,000,000.00 .So any nay sayers can suck hind teat. I just got a superb North Coast Indian basket woven chestnut from him for a excellent price,way below market value.So fear not

Lordbud

Reaction score
There are *two examples* of Babb&Co we're discussing both up on ebay currently.
Just to clarify we weren't questioning "APHotaling's example of the Babb&Co soda -- it was the other
Babb&Co example from seller "dookscoop" down in Long Beach which appears to have been tumbled.

onekick1

Reaction score
I might not know A.P. as well as you, but I do know when he finds out about your post he'll be freaking.
Probably hiding his USA Hospitals, Western fifths & early squares as we speak!

Wilkie

Reaction score
Yep, A.P.H. is a good guy, I've dug a few pits with him in Vallejo and Fairfield. I don't see anywhere on this thread where anyone was questioning his integrity. He usually has some quality stuff to sell on eBay and I've never known him to cheat anyone. Honestly, I think both Babbs are beautiful bottles but the first guy, dookskoop, would never get my business because of his attitude.

Lordbud

Reaction score
dookscoop example closed at $204.49

aphotaling's example closed at $147.50

I think the thing is, is that although these are beautiful Gold Rush era bottles in close-to-mint condition they are basically listed as "common", and they're not cobalt blue or
an otherwise rare color example...

ilovejake24

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the soda that was cleaned (i say was because i am an acquantaince of dookscoop and he cleans a good majority of his bottles) went for a higher price than the one that is straight outta the ground. Do people really like cleaned bottles that much more??? I thought these prices would be the opposite of what they are.

onekick1

Reaction score
AP Hotaling's Babb closed at $190
Dookscoop's at $204 -
Dookscoop's Babb was bought a few months ago from American Bottle Auctions for $350. Add the 12% buyers premium, California sales tax, shipping & handling and it looks like someone took a beating to own the Babb for a couple of months.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR