two mysterious tall green bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hokeypix

Reaction score
from that same lot....a bright deep emerald green, unusual shape, approx. 8 inches tall, looks like a 619 on the bottom. any clues? thanks!

Ay75546.jpg

Attachments

• Ay75546.jpg
    Ay75546.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 96

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Main Entry: [1]ca·per
Pronunciation: 'kA-p&r
Function: noun
Etymology: back-formation from earlier capers (taken as a plural), from Middle English caperis, from Latin capparis, from Greek kapparis
Date: 14th century
1 : any of a genus (Capparis of the family Capparidaceae, the caper family) of low prickly shrubs of the Mediterranean region; especially : one (C. spinosa) cultivated for its buds
2 : one of the greenish flower buds or young berries of the caper pickled and used as a seasoning or garnish

People today do not even know what capers are, much less eat them. But at the turn of the century and for a long time before, capers were a popular garnish at table. Witness how many of these bottles are around.

Capers were imported, perhaps all of these bottles are imported as well. Zumwalt figures an embossed example from France. And on pp. 410 she figures one with a paper label that says:
Select
Imported
CAIGLON
BRAND
CAPERS
in Vinegar...
UNITED
PURE FOOD
COMPANY
NEW YORK

Bottles such as these may have been used for other commodities from-time-to-time; but, without a label to the contrary, they are known as "capers bottles." Market value of these bottles without label or embossment is low, less than US$10.00. Check eBay "completed items" for current market value.

-----------Harry Pristis

hokeypix

Reaction score
Thanks. btw, I LOVE capers! they are delicious on a bagel with lox, or in a nice pasta salad. : )

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your food tastes. Are capers imported these days, or are they domestically produced? Is the traditional bottle-form still being used?

I had made a mental note to check on capers at the supermarket, but you can probably answer these questions for us.

-----------Harry Pristis

hokeypix

Reaction score
that I can't answer....I buy them at a shop that sells them (and olives) in large crocks, you buy by the pound....

luvtodig

Reaction score
Hey all! I can answer the caper question a little, I managed a Itailian restaurant in Seattle, and they use capers a in their cooking, they are quite good..the jar now looks nothing like the old one..I am not sure if they are imported or not..never had the time to check that out[&:] we recieved them from a food provider, that delievers orders to the restaurant..hope this helps[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75