two mysterious tall green bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluebelle

Reaction score
I found capers today in my neighborhood Albertsons, on the pickle aisle, among the more exotic stuff. Come in clear glass cylinder bottle, 3.5 oz, imported from Spain, Crosse and Blackwell brand (which is now a subsidiary of Nestle's) However, they were almost $5, so they won't be back on my menus anytime soon.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you, Jane, for the report. I suspect they have always been a luxury item here because they are imported. And we don't even get a fancy bottle these days! [&:]

---------Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I found three different brands of capers, plus capers berrys, at my local Albertsons supermarket recently. They were priced at about 60 cents per fluid oz.

None of the jars holding the capers had much resemblance to the green jars with fluted corners that I think of as "classic" capers bottles -- all were clear cylinders.

This is a representative example. Note that there is a ring in the neck above the shoulder as with the "classic" form.

-----------Harry Pristis

Ki19903.jpg

Attachments

• Ki19903.jpg
    Ki19903.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 72

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Thanks for continuing the research, Harry! The Cross and Blackwell one I saw was just a straight cylinder, no shoulder rings. So, did you buy some capers?

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Yes, Jane, those are my capers. I am gonna' try them soon. I like pickled olives and pickled onions, and I believe I will enjoy the pickled flower-buds as well!

Eating some of these "green floaty things" will cap this learning experience for me. Thank you to all who participated. [:)]

---------Harry Pristis

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Harry,
Mix some capers in tartar sauce for fish-it's quite good.

KAT

luvtodig

Reaction score
Harry, I hope you enjoy your capers[:)] unlike olives or other pickled things, I am not sure I would eat them by themselves[:'(] my experience, they have always been used in sauces..I am sure you know this tho[:)] intresting side note on the bottle..the other day on e bay, saw one of the old capers bottle being sold with medicines...the decription on it said old medicine bottles...guess they did not know what they had, or these bottles were used for other things? what I am finding on e bay, buyer beware..take care!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1