Two new Chestnuts

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
I can tell you on pottery, crazing are those little lines that look like tiny cracks. It is due to heat, I think. Not sure if this is the same on glass, though.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Cindy,

I don't really know how to define it, but when a hot glass lip is a applied to a cooling bottle, the temperature difference can create those little fissure lines that you sometimes see in the lip /neck area. I added a picture that helps describe this.

Mike

554C3C76BF3E477D9BC1ADA64C6E5F19.jpg

Attachments

• 554C3C76BF3E477D9BC1ADA64C6E5F19.jpg
    554C3C76BF3E477D9BC1ADA64C6E5F19.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 55

potstone

Reaction score
Mike, Your two chestnuts are very nice and I would very much like to hold them and feel the weight and the texture of the glass . I’m thinking after using a jewelers loop, a bright light and closely examining 9 rolled or what appears to be rolled lipped chestnuts, I found the crazing appears on everyone of them to some degree. My thoughts are suggesting the crazing is the product of a cool lip finishing tool. I think if it was caused by hot glass being applied to a cooler bottle we would see crazing on just about every bottle that has a applied blob or string of glass. I’m sure some of the chestnuts in question; the lips are applied and the rolled appearance is a result of additional fire polishing after the lip application. That would have basically removed application lines. These thoughts of mine are speculation based on my observations today with the Jewelers loop and with a few Chestnuts that I know for sure have rolled lips. I was wondering about weight of the two chestnuts you posted. The small one of mine has very thick glass and is heavy. I know that
green Chestnut bottles with rolled appearing lips and of heavy glass were manufactured by the Kramer’s who worked at the Stiegel Glassworks and New Geneva Glass Works. The few New England Chestnuts I own are much lighter in weight and what you mentioned from your observations, have lesser pronounced pontils. I know Chestnuts with rolled appearing lips, green in color and of heavy glass were manufactured at the Mantua Glass works also. Harry Hall White made some very conclusive discoveries of the type and form of the Chestnuts made there. He mentions that on many of the lips there are a pair of dents or depressions made by the finisher’s tool. The base of the Chestnuts were pushed up before attaching the punty. His shard find colors include aqua , green and amber. These photo's are of a Chestnut of mine that pretty much falls into that description.

107C19A612FA4064A9BC6C37FAD645EB.jpg

Attachments

• 107C19A612FA4064A9BC6C37FAD645EB.jpg
    107C19A612FA4064A9BC6C37FAD645EB.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member