Two new Chestnuts

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglass

Reaction score
Greg... excellent information. I agree that a rolled lip tooling technique was used at many of the Midlantic glasshouses... I just don't recall seeing them on New England chestnuts. I'm sure they are out there, I just don't recall seeing them.

As for the crazing being caused from the lipping tool... I don't see how the lipping tool would have even touched the bottle. Take for example the "crazing" picture that I posted... the molten glass was applied to the bottle, and the lip finishing tool was then used, so the tool never really touches the bottle. I'm not certain about this either... I have never been a glassblower! Maybe someone who is more familiar with the process can chime in.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts. I have about a dozen chestnuts... all of mine have applied lips, and they are all different in weight and size, however, I believe them all to be New England.

Mike

potstone

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that compliment. I enjoy discussing
the possible and probable origin of early glass. I can see you have an in depth knowledge of early American glass. I feel interacting with you on this Forum has been educational for me. I like to read or listen to other collectors perspectives. I find it a great learning tool for myself. Thanks Again, Greg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28