Ugly can be beautiful, historically that is!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flasks

Reaction score
After the slaves were freed in the mid 1860's, many that were well treated stayed with their former owners on the plantations, farms, wood mills, potteries, etc. and were known as free slaves. A lot of the families left, and traveled to other areas in the region of the mid South, for similar jobs and now they were "employed" as laborers rather than owned. Many, if not all, the African Americans were highly spiritual due to their heritage but were not Christians. In the area of Edgeville, SC, the start of making ugly jugs began for the sole purpose of grave decorations or possibly front porch placement for the sole purpose of warding off evil spirits. Owners of these early wood fired potteries where many freed slaves worked, the owners would give these people enough clay to make these jugs during their lunch time or maybe after the work day was over. All the early potteries were wood fired. These "ugly", now referred to as "face" jugs have been found in early Black cemeteries and broken ones around early homes they inhabited. About 1920 these jugs were abruptly stopped being made. I didn't dig mine, but it was found by my son traveling through Eastern TN at a small roadside shop with all kinds of stuff including this jug...somehow this one was preserved through the years and not purposely destroyed, as many were, as Christianity took over their prior hereafter beliefs. They're aren't too many of these true early face jugs made but lots of recent similar NEW pieces being offered on eBay as VINTAGE which is a useless word to describe age or trick a newbIe into buying "whatever" thinking it is the real thing. I picture the man or woman who made mine as being totally literate, uneducated and without any artistic skill...notice the lack of ears and the markings for teeth. This is a very crude example but the maker gave his/her best and felt this would keep the devil away. This is a true piece of American folk art that still may be found thrown in dumps or near early African American grave sites. I've related this story for educational and historical purposes ONLY! Even pieces of one of these jugs are valuable. P.S. I would date my jug as having been made in the 1880's

Attachments

• FaceJug.JPG
    FaceJug.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 122
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 118

yacorie

Reaction score
So how do you identify this as being original and not a modern remake? There is a small museum/shop in cedar key Florida that has a lot of these - originals and modern reproductions and the curator/owner makes a point that the new modern ones and the old originals are often impossible to tell apart

Flasks

Reaction score
They can be very difficult to tell the difference but what I look for first of all is it gas/electric fired versus "wood" fired. All originals were wood fired. Is the clay of that area? This will show up in the glaze as a modern fired pieces will not show disparities. Most new pieces show blending of features of face with more precise detail to facial features and done with a degree of skill. Old pieces will show "string" pulled to release the jug from the wheel and show several concentric circles on the base. If I saw A LOT of these in one place, especially in a retail store or shop, warning bells would go off. I've been appraising, digging, buying and selling for over 65 years and a lot of inner sense becomes the deciding factor. If you want to send me picture for my opinion I'd be glad to help...but it would be just my opinion. By the way, authentic ones can easily sell for 5 figures. How much are his???? Experience and handling real examples would help you to make a logical estimate as well. Will that retailer warrant his as authentic made between 1860 and 1920? Fakes are found for any valuable collectible, furniture to art glass and everything in between. Buyer beware is the name of the game, but knowledge and education of what your looking at trumps. As for mine....I spoke with the owner by phone several times and he sent me 10 high resolution pictures where I could examine the piece...We agreed on a price and I sent him payment and it came double boxed, the most secure packing I've ever received. Hope this helps. Would I bet my life on mine...NO WAY. Would I bet big money on mine being real....lets do it.

yacorie

Reaction score
I wasn’t being critical of you or the piece but just asking out of curiosity. The place is cedar key doesn’t have much of anything for sale as much as I recall and more of a museum. The items for sale that are modern - are clearly modern. He did have some original for sale and they were priced at many many 1000s of dollars.

All of what you pointed out makes sense. I think some of the tells you look for would vary between region, especially as you move west to east along the gulf basin or from south to north through the south. The parent materials and clays that would have been used also changes so I imagine it becomes more difficult.

If you’re down that way - you should visit the spot. It’s right on the back side of the main strip along the water

Flasks

Reaction score
I wasn’t being critical of you or the piece but just asking out of curiosity. The place is cedar key doesn’t have much of anything for sale as much as I recall and more of a museum. The items for sale that are modern - are clearly modern. He did have some original for sale and they were priced at many many 1000s of dollars.

All of what you pointed out makes sense. I think some of the tells you look for would vary between region, especially as you move west to east along the gulf basin or from south to north through the south. The parent materials and clays that would have been used also changes so I imagine it becomes more difficult.

If you’re down that way - you should visit the spot. It’s right on the back side of the main strip along the water
From my research, most of the early pieces were pretty much confined to Al, NC,SC, GA, & TN. with the focal point be Edgeville, SC. No doubt ,some, but not many comparatively speaking, were made outside of these states. Some no doubt found their way into other areas such as the "underground railroad" or relocation of the man/woman or family. Do you remember the name of the shop as I'd like to get in touch with the owner as a buyer?. If you will Google Map the place and send me that link that would also help. When I first added pottery to my obsessions, as well as art glass and bottles was about 1960 and I just had to make an ugly face for myself. It is obviously new and it was a long time before I could find and purchase a "real" one. The only other valuable jug that I actually found is in a post somewhere else on this site but I'm still learning the site...you might enjoy reading about that personal find....I sold it...huge dumb mistake. Have a good one.

Attachments

• newmadeface.JPG
    newmadeface.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 128

J.R. Collector

Nomad Bottle Collector
Reaction score
I agree that I couldn't tell a fake from and original. I know a spot in north georgia that has a few of these for sale in an old antique shop and I just couldn't tell what I was looking at.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause