Unexpected 40's Dump Finds - Double Grape and Ward's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bloodj2

Reaction score
Construction crew got into the main section of my 40's dump here in Knoxville. So where I was one-at-a-timing bottles out of this layer, they just started moving massive amounts of earth and with it came the bottles! Yesterday, I hopped down into the hole they dug (probably 15 feet deep) and started pulling bottles out of the walls. A lot of it it was broken, but there were a few good picks. Yesterday I pulled a Ward's Orange Crush bottle as well as a 1942 d'pat coca cola. Then today, Mike and Paul went over there with me and we waited for the construction crew to leave then we went through the tailing piles. Mike found a few insulators, and today I found this Double Grape from Seminole Bottling and it's in great shape.

Pictures below, they still need some cleaning, but the inside staining is really tough. I thought it was unusual because these bottles date at least 15-20 years prior to all the other context in this dump additionally, this is the same dump where my 1914 Chattanooga Brown Coca Cola bottle came from.

IMAG0804.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

IMAG0806.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I thought it was unusual because these bottles date at least 15-20 years prior to all the other context in this dump additionally, this is the same dump where my 1914 Chattanooga Brown Coca Cola bottle came from.

They're either 'late throws' or they were in service for 15-20 years..

MINNESOTA DIGGER

Reaction score
i would be there every day , i have driven a dump truck for years and have hauled this kind of debris ,, if they are hauling the stuff out in trucks you can rest assure that the stuff will go to a modern day landfill to be destroyed and be reburied , i would follow the trucks & then find a way to get in the same day & bring your flashlight steel toe boots and gloves and long pants and a couple 5 gallon pails

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday