Unexpected Winter Finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
I was walking around in the woods and I saw an old car in the distance and another and another and pieces of cars and then I got close enough to see bottles! I immediately started scavenging but they were all newer twist tops! There were some earlier twist tops but nothing really special. Then i started finding older glass and found these bottles. There was a half gallon paper label Dad's root beer, 2 acl painted Orange Crushes, a 7 oz 7Up, an older twist top Listerine, and a mystery bottle. It's 3 1/3 inches tall, a twist top, and it says Temperglas spelt like that. I googled it and it comes up in german text and in just random texts. What was it actually used for? Thanks.
001.jpg

004.jpg

How do you rotate photos? I rotate them on photobucket but they go sideways on here. thanks.
005.jpg

here's the embossment on the mystery bottle. It's on the otherside too.
006.jpg

splante

Reaction score
not a bad winter find..like the dads and crush...any date codes on the bases?

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
The Crushes say G-3064 then 7, I in oval, 56 and says Duraglas in cursive and 2 under that. Some of the Dad's bottom is worn off but there is a patent number 193533. some websites have said its from the '40s but I don't really know.

kwalker

Reaction score
That 7-up looks early to me. It looks 40s maybe. I'm no expert on ACLs so just a guess [8|]

jnoon

Reaction score
I believe I have the same 7-up bottle. I'll try to post a link to where I found out some info on the labeling.
http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/BLockhart_7UpBottlers.pdf

Plumbata

Reaction score
That root beer is huge! I wonder if it is a good one as far as NDNRs go? That amber bottle could have held anything from vitamins to picture frame varnish, it is hard to tell. Good to see that ya got out and braved the frost. Also, if those car parts are close to the road and you have a truck, you might want to consider selling them as scrap. If its all steel you may be able to get 11 cents a pound, which adds up fast.

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
Thanks for the help on the bottles guys. I have a larger ounce size of the 7UP so I thought that was pretty cool. The Temperglas will still be cool even though its not that old. The cars are in the middle of 100 acres of land so there's not much to help them out but that still is a good idea.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Temperglas was a patented term for a kind of hardened glass. I know bottles from the Owens-Illinois or Illinois Glass Company are often marked with Duraglas, which was their version of the term. It doesn't strengthen the glass much. I do remember throwing a Temperglas bottle at a rock and watched it bounce off. [:-] It was an amusing fluke

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
Oh, so they marked it Temperglas because it was made out of Temperglas. I thought it was a company. Thanks for clearing that up RIBottleguy.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter