Unknown case gin bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FishBBN

Reaction score
Hello!

I received this bottle from my father who doesn't think too much of it. Been trying to research it and all I can come up with is that it's a case gin bottle of sorts. Since I can't get any further than that, I'd figure I'd try here.

I'm sure as much information as possible is needed, so here goes: The bottle is intact, with the cork and wax seal still in place (preventing a good view of the lip). From what I can see though the mold seam does not go through the lip, which is why I assume it pre-dates 1900. I'm no expert on bottles at all, so I'm not sure if the lip was tooled on or not (but provided a close-up for those willing to take a stab at it). There is a clear unknown liquid inside.

It has no markings or stamps other than a circle on one side which is empty except for a vague X. The bottom of the bottle has a patch of uneven glass, but is also devoid of any markings. There are a few small air bubbles in the glass. It has a horizontally arranged ribbed texture on all sides. The general shape of it is somewhat uneven, it's not perfectly square when viewed from above.

Some background information that might help: My father received the bottle from my grandfather, without much information as to its history or contents. My family is Dutch, though our family history goes back to Indonesia (back then the Netherlands-Indies), including the period of the Japanese occupation. I don't know if this bottle was obtained in the Netherlands or Asia (or somewhere else all together).

Two photos:

CaseGin1.jpg

CaseGin2.jpg

Would be very interested to hear what you make of this, in particular where it might be from and roughly from what year. And besides that, obviously what the liquid inside actually is (I realise a Case Gin bottle may not actually contain Gin).

Thanks for looking! :)

epackage

Reaction score
I'm thinking Gin is 99% correct as for contents, I also think around 1880-1900(closer to 1900) is a good guess as to the date....Welcome to the forum, I hope someone has actual facts as opposed to my guesses...Jim

FishBBN

Reaction score
Thank you :) That was quick!

@timeinabottle: I tried including photos, they don't work? Tested it in two browsers (IE and Firefox) and it works for me but maybe I'm missing something.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I'm inclined to think similarly with Matt.

Thanks for inquiring about this bottle, FishBBN,

More photos involving more bottle, and less window treatment would be good. Base, seal, and top close-ups, please.

What's the flexibility factor on what I'm assuming is a wax seal? Is that contents level just north of the neck meeting the shoulders?

zuidam-ambachtelijkzeeroudejenever_detail1.png

FishBBN

Reaction score
More photos as requested:

casegin3.jpg

casegin4.jpg

It's a wax seal yeah. The line you see is indeed just the contents. I'm not sure what you mean by "flexibility factor" but I'm guessing you're wanting to know how solid it feels. It's pretty much rock hard. A few small bits have chipped off the top.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS