Unusual Insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Recently, I came across two insulators that I'd never seen before. The first is black glass (slightly amber in strong light) and marked ARMSTRONG (arc) 15-47 on one side, and 51-C1 MADE IN U.S.A on the other. The second a large, deep aqua "flying saucer" type marked Fred M Locke No. 16 on one side and Victor N.Y on the other. Any info that can be provided as to value - rarity of these two would be very much appreciated. Sorry, no photos yet. Thanks.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey John, I don't know much about insulators but I do know that those flying saucer shaped ones go for big bucks.

Could you post a pic?

Bixel

Reaction score
OK, first the blackglass one. Without seeing a picture, I will say about 10-15 dollars or so. Just to let you know, its probably a really dark Root Beer Amber, which is what the list for in the price guide. The "flying saucer" Fred M Locke, is worth about 20- 25 dollars unless it is in some weird colour.....

deepwoods

Reaction score
Kyle - Thank you for the information. Insulators are fascinating to me, but I know next to nothing about them. Im working on educating myself.

Bixel

Reaction score
Well if you ever have a question, or want some info, just let me know. I am a teenager that is very passionate about my hobby!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Kyle - Half the battle in life is finding interesting things to be passionate about that cant get you into trouble. Good for you. Right now, about the extent of my insulator knowledge in a nutshell is: threadless older and "good", threadeds common unless they're Harloes or Emmingers or unless they're in weird colors, Brookfield and Hemingray common. In other words, I dont know a heckuva lot. Dick Bowman (heard of him?) has one of the top collections in the country and lives about 20 miles away, but I dont want to pester him with every question I have, so I'll just bug you as you're alot younger and have more "energy" lol. Good luck with the hobby and thanks again for the info.

madman

Reaction score
hey the giant hemmingray pat 1893 with ohio on the back went for127.00 on ebay mike

Bixel

Reaction score
Well at least you know about emmingers and harloes. That is pretty much the average knowledge of an antique shop owner. I do know of Dick Bowman, hes a veteran in the hobby, and most people know about him. I don't care how much you bug me, im glad just to help out with any questions anybody has. No matter how dumb they may seem to be to you, a good question is never dumb!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey