Valentine's Day Best Ever, a warm bottle story

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Stardust

Reaction score
This story warmed my heart on Valentines Day. I haven't been able to see my grandchildren for over 8 weeks due to the swine flu. It hit me hard spiraling with one infection after another ending in pneumonia and if that wasn't bad enough plursey, topped off and set my Illness in a totally flare.

I want to thank those of you who still email me and support me with a little funny stories, cards, emails to just check in, gifts, send me stars bottles or star gifts, phone calls, prayers, and just being my friend. You all just brighten up my days and although I'm not around that often, I really appreciate all the kindness and what I learn when I'm able to peek in.

I look for the gifts in every day and I writing a book about all the kindness that has happened to me and that I see all around while I'm on this journey called life. So back to my story, yesterday on Valentine's Day, my daughter started telling me that my now 5 year granddaughter had to bring something special to school the other day. It was her turn for show and tell. She knew just what she wanted to bring. She told her mommie she wanted to bring some of her antique bottle collection that she dug up last summer from the planned bottle digging I had for her and her baby brother in my flower garden.

Then my granddaughter took over telling me she chose 7 of the smallest bottles to bring to school that day. She made sure her mommie and her wrapped them just the way her Nannie had wrapped then for her so they would get home safely. Once she arrived at school my granddaughter handed her package of bottles to her teacher. She told her these were very special and breakable and would she hold them for her till it was her time for show and tell.

At show and tell she carefully opened each bottle and showed them to everyone in the class. She explained that she had to dig for the bottles in the dirt at her Nannie's house in the flower garden. She told them she got cut on a piece of glass that was in the ground and that you have to wear gloves and be very careful. She said my Nannie said I really have it in my blood now, but, we had to stop and wash and clean my cut with something that made it sting. My Nannie had to kill the germs, so she sang to distract me so it didn't hurt to, to bad.

My baby brother found some bottles too and he spent most of the time at the water table pouring water from one bottle to another. Some of the bottles were poison bottles and the class got all excited when she told them that. She pointed out how to tell which were the poison by the little bumps on the bottles so a person would know in the middle of the night not to take one of those pills by mistake.

She told the class that the bottles come in all colors and shapes and sizes and when the good weather come she is going to dig again to find more at her Nannie's house. lol She thinks they grow like potatoes, I caught her planting one last fall and she told me this would make more bottles for the next time. Do you think if I plant some in early spring they will grow like potatoes?

The teacher was very impressed as she wrapped her treasured bottles back up to take back home. A few days later another mom told my daughter that her son was digging in the snow all over the place and when she asked him why he said he was digging for antique bottles like his girl friend at school. The mom couldn't stop laughing and then thought what a great idea for the summer. A planned bottle dig in your own back yard. Now I'm going to have to find more small or cheap bottles bottles for next summer to expand her collection.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me make this happen. I may have to invite to whole school over for a field trip and let them do a bottle dig late spring, early summer. lol That story was the Best Valentine's gift I could have ever gotten!!!!! Surely beat the bakers dozen of red roses. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day!
xxxx's
star~

cyberdigger

Reaction score
What a sweet story, Star!! Thank you!! [:)] How cute those little kids are.. digging in the snow for bottles.. thinking they grow like potatoes.. [:D] ..they'll end up being avid gardeners if not bottle diggers!!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hey Star thats a great story, my kids are growing up so fast somedays I dont think I even know them anymore.
I hope your health has been more tolerable for you other than this bout with the swine flu.Good to hear from you again
take care Steve.

sweetrelease

Reaction score
very nice star. sorry i have not emailed you in some time, but i have been very busy with work family ,i'm sure you know how it is!!!! keep on lovin life and i hope for nothing but the best for you and your family this year. stay well friend.~matt

glass man

Reaction score
GREAT STORY! I GAVE MY GRAND NEWPHEW A FEW BOTTLES. A BIT AGO I TOLD HIM I WAS GONNA HAVE TO SELL SOME OF MY BOTTLES. HE SAID "YEAH I AM GONNA SELL MINE TOO. I NEED ME SOME MONEY"![:D] KIDS ARE GREAT! THE ONES THAT AIN'T WELL YOU CAN'T THROW THEM DOWN A WELL NOW CAN YOU?[8D]

NINA WORKED AS A TEACHERS AID SOME YEARS AGO. A LITTLE BOY SHOWED NINA WHAT HE HAD BROUGHT FROM HOME FOR SHOW AND TELL. WELL,IT WAS DAD'S BAGGIE OF DOPE!!

IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR NINA SEEING IT FIRST WHO KNOWS WHO ALL WOULDA WENT TO JAIL![:)]

THE MOM WAS VERY,VERY THANKFUL TO NINA![8D] LOVE YOU STAR!! JAMIE

Stardust

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Charlie she brought in that little green bottle and the brown with bumps and lines on it that you sent me she really loves those little bottles. Diggs had sent me lots of little bottles, marbles, little china cup and saucer and I got a poision also that she loved. I planted some of my favorites as she tells me I have too many bottles and it's not fair. She also tells me the same thing about sea glass and that's why there is none on the beach when she and her family go looking for it, it's all gone because I took it all. She cracks me up.Out of the mouths of babes! lol!

Steve, good to hear from you my friend. You are so right, they grow up so very fast that is why it's important to make special memories like this while we are able to.

Sweet Matt, I think about you often and wonder how you are doing my friend. I really have bottle fever and wish I could get to a bottle show. I'm a little nervous that I would run down a whole row of tables in my new set of wheels though.

Jamie, that is sure a funny story that Nina had happen to her. lol! I think I owe you an email. I'm way behind, but still keep you in my prayers sweet friends.

It was nice, to hearing from all of you. Well, I'm falling asleep as I write this. take care and I'll check in again when I have a chance, Love you guys!
star~*

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4