Value of cobalt pontil umbrella

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Everyone at the club was stunned by it, as was I! I couldn't believe it was the same bottle we had dug.

37853129203646AC87BCF2A5199D419C.jpg

REALLY NICE! (I'm kinda partial to the amber one too...)

epackage

Reaction score

Derrp

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153784/da-derp-dee-derp-da-teetley-derpee-derpee-dumb

Penn Digger

Reaction score
My thought is that you may get the most for it from a Glass Works auction, but would have to wait a bit for an auction.

PD

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Connor,

Were both of them blue inks poniled? I have seen pictures of the one clearly being OP, but was it the broken one only? Is/was the unbroken one not pontiled and maybe IP? Please advise.

PD

Wheelah23

Reaction score
All three are open pontiled. But the broken ink was very clearly a different mold than the other two. That one is shorter, has a simple two part mold base, and has an obvious OP.

The unbroken ink and the amber ink are the same mold, different from the broken one. These two are taller, have a key mold base, and a not-so-obvious pontil. I believe they were probably made by the same person, as the inward rolled lips are identical, and they are the same mold, with the only difference being the color.

We conversed about why the amber and whole cobalt are not so obviously pontiled, and came to the consensus that the glassmaker was skilled in his art. If the punty was well "lubricated" was glass, and the bottles were warm enough when the punty was detached, that could explain why the pontils are nearly not there.

I think we'll wait to sell it. Tom says it'd be good to bring it to Baltimore, maybe we'll make a private deal there. If not that, an auction is a good idea.

bottlediger

Reaction score
wow did that clean up nice! your digging buddy has some skills! Best of luck with the bottle

Ryan

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Is this the ink you are trying to value? I've got to admit, I've squinted at this base several times, and I cannot make out the pontil.

Jim G

Dang near identical to the amber! Also look at all the base wear. Supports our guess that the inks are 1850's, and the family had them around for a while, then finally disposed of them around 1865, when the house was built.

968A49AEF0024EBDA78B6811F018B6ED.jpg

tigue710

Reaction score
The glare of the flash in the picture outlines a separate impression on the base, made by a force other than the mold. On close inspection of the bottle one will find a slim rough edge around this circle and the evidence of it having been form by pressure applied to the base. its likely that the bottle was already cooled when the punty was applied, causing the empontiling process to break away clean without leaving any glass stuck to the base. Possibly a sandchip type pontil although most likely a very "clean" break...

CB901829F4154D81B94182E6EB05A214.jpg

Attachments

• CB901829F4154D81B94182E6EB05A214.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 53

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

The glare of the flash in the picture outlines a separate impression on the base, made by a force other than the mold.  On close inspection of the bottle one will find a slim rough edge around this circle and the evidence of it having been form by pressure applied to the base.  its likely that the bottle was already cooled when the punty was applied, causing the empontiling process to break away clean without leaving any glass stuck to the base. Possibly a sandchip type pontil although most likely a very "clean" break...

Well said Tigue. I'm still learning about all this pontil-y stuff, but I knew I was on the right track. It's faint in the picture, but when you feel the glass it's obvious there's a pontil. There's a general sharpness about the area that tigue circled. I've never heard of a glass chip pontil ink, and neither had anyone else, so I think it's just a clean OP.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

Is this the ink you are trying to value? I've got to admit, I've squinted at this base several times, and I cannot make out the pontil.

Jim G

Dang near identical to the amber! Also look at all the base wear. Supports our guess that the inks are 1850's, and the family had them around for a while, then finally disposed of them around 1865, when the house was built.

968A49AEF0024EBDA78B6811F018B6ED.jpg

Thank you Saratogadiver, not trying to split hairs. Let's get this right though. Where is the open pontil?

Maybe IP or sand chip, not open pontil?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause