Very dangerous privy in the woods!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of a very dangerous privy that I found out in the woods today. I first found the house on an 1874 map I have and while hiking in the woods I came apon the privy. It doesn’t look it in the picture but it’s a 6 foot deep stone liner with 3 more feet of under dirt at the bottom. I am pretty sure it was not dug before but never filled in after the house was torn down in the early 1900s. What makes it so dangerous is the left wall is bowed out about 2 feet and it looks like its just about to cave it. I am not worried about digging this one right now because right beside it there’s another stone liner that I found with my probe! I couldn’t help myself so I dug down a little bit then took the picture. It’s the same dimensions as the open one and after I got down three feet I couldn’t find the bottom with me probe! I will keep you all posted on the outcome of both of them. I hope one is a pontiled hole!!

Mk26228.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26228.jpg
    Mk26228.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 71

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey, bottleman. I also found A privrey just today see; "I found the throne, now what?" on this forum. It does not look as dangerous as the one pictured here. What do you think?

Bottleman

Reaction score
I was looking at your post earlier and I too have never dug a standing outhouse. You wont have the problem with the walls falling in on you because the dirt inside has held them back the 100 years. Yours is most likely a wood lined one or concrete walls. It looks like a rabbet got trapped down there and died….. hope you don’t too so I would take the shack down before I dig incase it falls on you!

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you find, Tom

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey bottleman, Thanks for the imput. What do you mean by "take a sack down"? I' m VERY new to this. It will be my first dig. As for the rabbit; what a way to go...oh "take the SHACK down "DUH! UIwill

Bottleman

Reaction score
I said take the "shack" down before you dig it. I ment take the actuall wooden outhouse before you dig so it dosent fall on you.

Good luck, Tom

glopf43

Reaction score
Thanks Bottle, my excitement is showing and I'm reading things that are not there. I edited my last post but not in time to save me the embarassment. The first thing I'll do is take down the building. Boy I can't wait 'til morning!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Well, I promised all of you I would take a picture of my finds and here they are. I was disappointed with the age and amount of the bottles I found but I had a fun time digging it. These came out of the privy on the right and it was about the same size as the dangerous open one. I have not attempted to dig the open one yet and I will wait for a few more weeks I think. Here’s a list the marked bottles I found:

•(2) etched S&P shakers with grapes on them and pearl lid insert
•Dr. Meeker’s Superior BlackCherry Cordial
•Dr. Kilmer’s U & O Anointment (sample size with a ground lip)
•(2) Watkins Winona, Minn. USA
•Size 7 sterling silver thimble
•Broken gold plated ring
•(2) Vaseline glass beads

Yw67684.jpg

Attachments

• Yw67684.jpg
    Yw67684.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 68

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey bottleman, good looking bottles. The two matching salt and pepper shakers etched with grapes, very pretty! Your success has made me want to keep going even more. What are the little green discs? (my inexperience is showing again!). Did you read my post "wheres the bottom". I just want to know if one of you seasoned diggers can tell me if I'm there by my discription. Again, THANKS, you have been great!

bne74honda

Reaction score
Bottleman,

Thanks for this post! Over a year ago I was scouting a County forest and came upon a real likely looking spot....nice pond, stream, good looking mound for a dump and a hole in the ground lined with rocks. But the rocks were falling in and it didn't look too promising. After seeing your pix I think I just may have found my first privy! [:)] Now I only have to wait another 2 months for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw..[:mad:]

Brian

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1