very odd jug my father found years ago

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

galactus

Reaction score
Hi All:

I have posted a photo of an odd jug my father acquired years back. I have heard several stories of what it is, but I know virtually nothing about it, except that it is old. Does anyone out there know anything about this?.

Two stories I have heard: One is that it is an Earth Jug. Farmers would take them in the field as a canteen. I do not believe this, as it is way too ornate and fragile. Another I heard is that it is a ceremonial wedding jug. Probably neither is accurate.

81F3DDA3EE1E4852A62239BF440833EF.jpg

Attachments

• 81F3DDA3EE1E4852A62239BF440833EF.jpg
    81F3DDA3EE1E4852A62239BF440833EF.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 75

galactus

Reaction score
No one knows much about this either, huh?. I am taking it to a Treasure Hunter's Roadshow that is in Cumberland, MD this Friday to see if I can get any info about it. I took it to one some years back and no one had a clue. Maybe it is folk art and worth a fortune, or maybe it's worthless....I just don't know.

FloridaRecycled

Reaction score
Just the fact that you got it from your dad - it's not worthless - but please do let us know what they tell you at the show OK?

Also: If you are going to a show in "Cumberland, MD"...check out the thread for the open pontiled med from Cumberland" - there is NO info on it...

It says -
JHK
Cumberland
MD

If you could print the pic and take it - we might get 2 questions answered on here!!!!

Let us know -

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Cody,

Man, you are putting up some unique container conundrums. The ends put me in mind of a mid-50's Buick bumper I had a close encounter with years ago. Is it stoneware? Could you put up some detailed pictures that show the decoration? Was it meant to hang from a loop, or is the top decorative? Great mystery piece. I bet someone will come along and have some information. Thanks for putting it up.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That is one crazy container!! Does not look American to me.. not even European for that matter.. could you show us a couple different views?

galactus

Reaction score
I have never been able to find out anything about this unusual jug. Does anyone have any idea where I may go to find out anything about it?. This jug was found in a barn 50-60 years ago hid amongst junk. It has been the subject of plenty of conversation and speculation over the years, but no one knows anything definitive.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Could you take several more pictures in good direct light?
As ornate as it is, and ODD shaped...I'm guessing it is some sort of special occasion thing...wedding, or funeral...like that.

galactus

Reaction score
I am sorry. I would like to, but I can not seem to get the pictures small enough.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
any makers mark on the base? may get us a little closer to an answer.
It does look a bit too ornate to be an everyday thing.. I would have to say a special occasion item also. Does look weddingish.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson