WEEKEND DIGGING PICS!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Get yourself a 3 prong fork or potato rake. They do less damage to the bottles your digging. Use the rake to make a pile then use your shovel to remove the excess fluff. You might also want to build a sifter in the near future. Buy yourself some wire mesh I believe it's called hardware cloth and some pvc pipe and cable ties. Cut the pvc to what ever length you plan on making your sifter. If 12" x 12" then you need 4 pieces 12"s long and four 90 degree corner pieces. Glue them together with pipe cement and then cut your wire mess 12 and a half inches by 12 and a half inches and then use the cable ties to attach the mesh to the pvc square that you've made. You'll want the extra half inch to work with. Better to be a half inch to long then a half inch short. Make sure the mess is small enough to catch a dime. Then when you want to sift just dump on some dirt and shake the dirt off of the broken glass and rusty tin and maybe some marbles and coins and various other treasures. Other things you'll want for digging includes a good pair of root cutters, leather work gloves to keep you from getting cut and needing a tetnis shot and bubble wrap for the finds that you want to keep. You may also want to buy some type of rubber dip or rubberized spray coating to cover the tips of your digging fork to further protect bottles from digger scratches. Hope this helps some. Can anyone else add to this? Jason

youngpup

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for all your help! I don't know if i'll be able to get out this weekend tho...it's supposed to rain pretty hard.[:(] Anyway...I have a sifter that I used when i was little to fool around in the sandbox...it should work pretty well i think. Well...gotta go do school work. LOL! Thanks again!
~~Jesse~~

grimdigger1

Reaction score
All you need is a good strong fork & preferably a round mouth shovel ,, cut yourself a good 5 foot sqaure hole and try to get to the bottom of the tip if you can
after a while your eyes will adapt to see any odd shape items in the soil ash ..check out the video

http://media.putfile.com/YESTERDAYS-DIG-22ND-JAN

youngpup

Reaction score
Hey...Thanks for the video...learned some tips from it...and thanks to all who provided me with information! Love the bottles in the video!

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Just remember to dig safe......that means use your common sense......Grimdigger and swizzle offered you some good advice.....if your dump is 2 feet or shallower, use a potatoe scratcher...no real need for a shovel. If the dump is 3 feet or more.....you will need a shovel to move the fill around....Just remember if it seems unsafe it probably is.....but do not be afraid of putting a good, deep hole in the ground....as long as you do not tunnel and sure up the sides of the hole you will be all set....

youngpup

Reaction score
Well do...I'm pretty sure it's shallow but i lifted a piece of metal or something and realized that it was somewhat deep...I'll make sure I post what i found...i don'd have a digital camera...but my friend does...so maybe i'll get some pics up too! I'll put up a pic of the dump for ya guys!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I confess I'm a tunneller. I have no self control once I hit a vein of pontils. I wind up reaching in and grabbing, then darting out hoping it doesn't cave while I'm grabbing bottles. I got caved in on once, up to my chest. Scared the crap out of me. Luckily there was someone with me in another hole. It took him a while to hear me yelling, but he came and dug me out. Cave ins make for NASTY nightmares. You wake up flailing about , kicking your spouse out of the bed, and throwing blankets everywhere.

So I confess I dont have the self discipline to keep from tunneling if my greedy little hands are pulling out 1840's virgin trash. But I don't want to die, so I tend to just stay away from the deep land fill dumps, and stick with my small single house dumps, and river banks, and shallow New England privies.
GO FIND SOME PONTILS !! Bram

youngpup

Reaction score
yea...I'm definetely not gunna tunnel...I hope i find some pontils...pontils are the ones with the goofy tops...right?

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Nope........pontiled are the ones with goofy bottoms..........[;)]

monsterdigger

Reaction score
Lets not argue guys. We all enjoy the same hobby, so lets enjoy it..........................................Hey dirtflicker, by the way, Im very jelous of your finds and your depth, wish i could come diggin with you guys, but i prefer Moosehead beer...............lol.....................Jake.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Giles