Weekend Treasures

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stormysouth

Reaction score
Hello all. Had a great weekend. Spent all day Saturday & Sunday searching for new places to dig. Went down to the Ohio River on the Indiana side and found were New Albany Glass Works dumped there glass in the river from 1866 to 1880. Huge chunks of beautiful glass. Olive greens swirled with amber, blue, aqua, different shades of amber & green. They will look pretty in my flower bed. I thought about selling them at the flea market along with a write up about their history (just a thought). They are beautiful. Found new possibilities for the upcoming holiday weekend. 4 blissful days of digging (hope mother nature cooperates). Also found a cistern at a site that is being developed. There is a small cemetary dating back to the Spanish American War. I secured permission to dig it up and the guy even cut it dow about 4 feet for me. Anybody have any pearls of wisdom on digging a cistern? It' about 8' wide, hand cut stone liner with some repairs made of brick. How deep are they usually? I can't find the privy though, any suggestions?

Thank-you,

Lisa

madman

Reaction score
sounds like you had alot of fun thats what counts!!! i too have found glass dumps along the river, large chunks but nothing like you described,, you may have somthing there mike

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey StormySouth...
I don't do alot of diggin, but I sure do a lot of diving (Underwater)_ That's where my friends and I find most of our stuff. We are always looking for new places to go and we are thinking about doing more travelling. What does the water look like? Any visibility? Can you see much?

Anyway, Good Luck with the diggin... one trick you might try along the shore... next time, bring a long rake with you and reach out into the water and rake up the bank towards you. I have heard of some guys in Conn doing thisand they supposedly found some real nice, high dollar stuff... I think one bottle was a John Moffets Phoenix Bitters!!

Diving and Diggin,
Wayne

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey lisa an all like madman says its all about haven the fun.but allways be exceptonaly careful when diggen cisterns an privys caveins can happen without warning .cisterns an privys can be qiut deep.privys tend to be from 6 to 12feet deep around here not to say some arnt deeper or less.an cisterns can go 20 ft or better . so its allways good to have a diggen partner. lisa you said your son likes to go with ya uh that good. the glass factory spot sounds cool . well hope find the big cash good luck diggen bill

madman

Reaction score
woops thanks dollar, my above reply was to somthing else, sry. on the topic of cisterns some say cisterns are not worth digging, but i disagree ive found some very cool bottles in cisterns, its like a time capsule, if its 8 around id get a buddy to help you, dig it down evenly, dont try to dig a small hole for the goods, also be aware of the walls you dont want to get a cave in on you, ive found some cisterns to be about 4to5ft deep but could be deeper, just dig straight down be very carefull and have fun also beware of ground water coming up when you get deep mike

KentOhio

Reaction score
The glassworks site sounds great. Can you post some pictures? I've dug at an old glassworks too, but all they ever used was aqua glass, so it was pretty boring.

stormysouth

Reaction score
Thank-you for all the wonderful replies. Was to busy cooking and running to the race track to do much this week. As far as the cistern goes I'm not going to allow my son to be a part of digging it. He can go but not be in the hole. I'm trying to charm one of the heavy equipment guys into using his back hoe. He already used the bull dozer and took about 4' off for me. I'm into the fill stuff (bricks and rocks). I'm going to offer beer and to bake his favorite goody. Hopefully he'll do it. I know it's cheating but hey alls fair in love, war and getting the big cash find.

To southern Maine diver,

The visibility of the Great Ohio River is questionable. I guess the time of year as well as the weather would play a huge part in it. Research the Ohio River and Louisville, KY & New Albany , IN history. It is and was a real major water way and has a long history.

Lisa

stormysouth

Reaction score
I will post pictures as soon as my son shows me how to work his camera. What happened to just aim and push a botton? His outfit is so complicated.

Lisa

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229