well digging????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

monsterdigger

Reaction score
I have been digging for bottles for almost 2 years now and i love it. It is an aggravating sport. I have dug 2 old wells, and have had the best luck in wells. It seems like you start hitting the turn of the century stuff about 6 feet down. The deeper you go the bottles get older. It seems to me digging in old wells can be unsafe. My question is, how deep are old wells? The last one i dug was near an old farm built in 1853. The well was about 4 feet in diameter and bordered by native stone. How deep is this well and would i find better stuff if i dig deeper.

Bottleman

Reaction score
Wells can be VERY deep. I have never dug to the bottom of one yet because of that. Last weekend a guy showed me one on his property that was 40 feet deep that he measured and that’s no lie. It was unreal looking down that because it was dry except for the last few feet. The depth of a well depends on how deep the well digger had to dig before he hit water. If it was dug in a dry year then it could be very deep. The first 20 feet of the one I looked down was round and then at one point in time it had to be dug deeper and the next guy who dug it set the rocks in more of a square shape.

~~Tom

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin