Well, I Am Trying eBay Again!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Pontiled

Reaction score
A while back, I asked about some of the lots I had placed on eBay that got very few bids (less than 40% sold, even at ridiculously low prices). I am trying the unsold lots again. Even the more common pottery/stoneware lots normally have a retail value of $5.00 or more EACH and they are all different, so why don't they bid?

Do a search for Dumfries and see for yourself.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
Without even looking at your auctions, I can think of several reasons why low end stuff doesn't do well. There are many "tricks" to selling on eBay and some I'd have to PM you with 'cause they also help with buying bottles (someone may be reading this[:D][;)][:D]).
The main reason could be something as simple as the time of year. June, July and August, the summertime in general, can be the worst time to list and sell. As a buyer alone, my daily and weekly searches I do for certain items, the number of listings is very low. The viewers of listings is low. Everyone has things to do throughout the summer months. Vacation is a contributing factor as well. What it comes down to is, that people (buyers and sellers --- eBayers) are not in front of their computers this time of year, compared to the (snowed in and bored, I need to buy something) winter months. I will only sell items before Christmas (presents) and after New Years (tax returns). The exception to all the rules of eBay is to have that rare item, when it doesn't matter how, when or where you list it. The collectors will find it and pay whatever it takes to get it...the things we love to dig[:)].

The best of luck to you on your auctions.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Thanks Meech and Rich, and to those who sent an e-mail to me. I've been a member for almost 6 years and I've seen the timing of an auction play a very important part in getting good or reasonable bids over the years. This year, it's almost impossible to even get any bids that aren't "give-aways." Usually, I include a few copies of my book since that can easily cover the listing fees for most of my lots. I do regret putting the Civil War bottle book up at $16.00 when one fellow puts his copies up at $24.99, but I can't help running against his lots. The thing that also gets me is the fellow from England who runs almost the same kinds of bottles with much higher mailing costs, but I guess some bidders want the shipment from England and are willing to pay more for that!

With the increasing auction listing fees and the PayPal fees, you still get less and less for your items. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it.

Thanks again for your comments.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi all, just thought I would put my 2cents worth in! I just put out the paper labels on ebay... The rest I put in the antique mall.... The cost for the booth is much lower then listing on ebay... But back to paper labels, I love buying them at flea markets for 50 cents putting them out for $4.99 and make $30-$100 bucks![8D] It seems like any thing with a label that says heroin, opium or cocaine does real well and then you always get those who "relate" to the bottle, their name or town etc etc. Well thats all I gut to say bout that! Have fun... Taz

Pontiled

Reaction score
Just a quick note, folks. Of the 24 items I listed, only 5 sold. That's less than about 20%. Crazy mistake!

Thanks for your comments.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Thanks Taz.

By the way, you mentioned labels. I saw an old holder for labels that was loaded with the antique spools of them. Man, I wish I had bought it!

baltbottles

Reaction score
I just wanted to say I also think that there are many collectors that are just fed up with ebay. I mean how many of us have listed nice bottles to watch them sell far to cheap time and time again. I mean its great from a buyers stand point I’ve gotten some great deals on ebay. But as a buyer I also won't bid on things that I have a good chance of digging myself so most of the lower end stuff doesn’t get my attention. So as a seller I have stopped listing this kind of stuff but then the really high end bottles I can usually sell with a phone call for what I want and avoid paying any fees. So I only list things that usually I either don't know anyone that collects or I’m not sure about the value. But also as a buyer I really hate when you win an auction for a bottle and when you get it its not nearly as nice as was described and I think this disappointment has really hurt the bottle market on ebay.

Sorry for rambling
Chris

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I have to agree with Chris. The high end to middle the road stuff sells well on ebay (usually anyway ) . And it seems like the low end stuff you can't give away on ebay. But then that I suppose is because of rarity. Common and you will see 10 or 20 of the same thing in a week. The low end stuff seems to draw the newbies in bottle collecting hobby and they usually don't want to pay the prices on the low end stuff. They are very conservative usually ! They haven't learned to mortgage the house for that rare got to have piece of glass yet ! LOL
And there has seemed to be a great lot of misdescribing( < is that a word ) of condition here lately on ebay. If buying on ebay always , I mean always get a return privilege. Most reputable dealers will gladly give a return privilge. That's the only way to do business. I won't buy a bottle from a dealer that has ALL SALES FINAL in description. There usually is a reason that they put that in there description !!!! And also , Bottle people are some of the most honest people in the world. Or at least that is what I have found out.....A truly great bunch of Guys and Gals.
Brian

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Mike, just wanted to say I just received your book.... eBay auction... It truly is awesome... Wow is it really power packed... and autographed !! Thank you, Thank you... Taz[:)]

Pontiled

Reaction score
Taz, I am so glad it arrived okay! You just never know with the mail. Thanks for the compliments! Enjoy reading the book and, if you ever have any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4