Well, I Am Trying eBay Again!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Mike I just bought that cross hatched pickle that is on the front cover.... I would like any info on it, was it a import from england or maybe what glass house in the US. I paid 150 for my specimen.. Shes a beauty, cross hatch top to bottom even in the arched upper panels it makes them look like xmas trees! The base is smooth and it's 11 1/4" tall Thanks,Taz

Sq46658.jpg

Attachments

• Sq46658.jpg
    Sq46658.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 80

Pontiled

Reaction score
Taz, you've got a goodie! The pickle jar is one that was made in New England, as my research indicates. It's not just lightly decorated, it's REALLY embossed with decorations. Also, the size is greater than most offered. For the price, you got a steal! I love the condition too. Whether or not a pickle jar of that age is pontiled or is a smooth base doesn't seem to add a great deal of value.

Great buy!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Bt the way, the pickle to the right has virtually disappeared from the market now. I paid almost as much for mine as you did for the cathedral type.

KentOhio

Reaction score
I can add a little bit to this discussion. I'm a buyer on ebay, and every once in a while I see a $5-$10 bottle that I like. Then I think to myself, I'LL BE PAYING AS MUCH FOR THE BOTTLE AS I WILL FOR SHIPPING. Sure, for a high-end bottle, an extra $5 won't make much of a difference. But say I buy a bottle worth $10 for $5 on ebay, plus $5 shipping. Did I get a good deal? If I want to sell it on ebay, then I have to start the price at what I payed, $10. The guy whos buys it pays $15 total. Say he sells it on ebay. He has to start it at $15.

flasherr

Reaction score
I agree about the shipping theory. I look at a lot of items on ebay. Mostly bottle caps. If I pay $3 for a cap then the seller only sells priority and if they throw in a handling fee im looking at $7 for the cap that might have been worth $5 top dollar. I love acl sodas and look at a lot of neat ones on ebay at fair or great price but it seems the average bottle runs $6-8 for shipping. Not everyone figures in the total cost. I have a friend that wants glass drawer pulls. She told me not to pay over $3 a piece because she get repo ones off ebay for that. when I reminded her what shipping would be to get them to her she didnt fig that in the total cost. After we talked it over she realized it would be to expensive to fix that cabinet. The same factor runs on regular live auctions. Here they like to charge 10% buyers premium. by the time you pay that and taxes your looking at almost 20% over cost. Well, that's enough of my rambling. I hope I find some good bottles at our local market this weekend.
Brian

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Mike, do you know which glass house in new england the cross hatch might be from? The "large" six sided pickle on the right of the X-hatch is iron pontiled! I picked that one up for 55 bucks! This specimen has a crack however that starts on a corner and runs along the base, it's not overly visible , I plan on putting some waterglass (liquid silica) solution in the bottom to keep it from running and to preserve hopefully for another 100 years.. Taz

LaidBackJack

Reaction score
Awesome Pickles! That is some beautiful glass, small crack & all. About Ebay, it's gotta be Caveat Emptor at all times. Too many newbies think Ebay is some kind of get-rich-quick, something for nothing scam they can play with & not get burned. Well, I've made most of my living on Ebay for almost 4 years, and it's a lot of work, and the Marquis De Queensbury rules always apply....protect yourself at all times....seller or buyer. There is no excuse for any small item to have postage/handling, Priority mail cost more than $4.00 anywhere in the USA, and using the Global Priority Mail envelopes...$5.00 anywhere overseas. Even the large Global PM mailers are just $9.00 regardless the weight. For Canada buyers, it's $4 & $7 respectively. A lot of shysters seem to use the postage charge to make their nut, apparently, selling worthless junk for small amounts & charging outrageous amounts for the postage/handling. I flat will not deal with people like that, regardless what they claim to be selling. If one has a question....BEFORE you bid is the time to ask it. Duh!!!! Just forget about any sellers who can't or won't give you a straight answer, if someone is honest they have nothing to hide, & nothing to lose by telling you straight. The creeps out there always ruin it for us honest business people. With bottles, you gotta be especially carefull...wishfull thinking sells more bottles than anything else. If the pics aren't clear, and the description is vague....you're asking for trouble by just bidding W/O trying to get better information first. Some sellers honestly don't know how it should be done, but will prove upon request that they do indeed have the goods you are interested in. It doesn't cost anything to ask! Caveat Emptor....Marquis de Queensbury rules. My $ .02 for what it's worth.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi flasherr !
Most auction houses have moved up to a 15% buyers penalty ! The days of 10% are all but gone ! Just keeps going up and up !!!!! Brian

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster