Went on my first dig....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

acoleg

Reaction score
First off, let me start out by saying I appreciate the kind welcome and suggestions some of you made on my previous post made about a week ago, "Looking for diggers". All too often with forums like these, dealing with hobbies of any sort, it can be tough to get anyone "inside" to pay you any mind. So I especially want to thank "riverdiver" for suggesting I get in touch with "athometoo",as he lives here in Dallas. "athometoo" was all too happy to give me directions to an old Dallas area dump, which I went to this past Saturday. Hopefully the next time I go I can tag along with him so he can teach me a thing or two, b/c as I said earlier, I am just getting started. I also want to thank "Chuck1188" and "texasdigger", we will definately be in touch as well.

Okay, back to the main topic of this thread. I did make it out to the dump this past Saturday, although I didnt get to stay as long as I would have liked. My main priority was to just find the place and see what it was like. I dug around for a couple hours though and found a handful of bottles, i'm sure nothing special but I had one heck of a good time and cannot wait to get back out there. Pics are below of what I found. The little blue "marble" is actually a glass bead, thought that was pretty cool. I found two marbles, but I guess one of them fell out of my pocket b/c i cannot find it anywhere. I know its not a big deal, but it kind of bummed me out. I guess i'll just have to find more, right! My favorite bottle is a little one that reads "John R. Dickeys Old Reliable Eye Wash; Manufactured by Dickey Drug Co. Bristol, VA." It's skinny and about 4 inches tall.

Well, there ya go. My first dig! Thanks again to everyone I mentioned above. I've been reading a ton on this forum and just want to say how refreshing it is to see such a great group of helpful, kind and respectful collectors. My job is in a popular "collectors" industry, so I know this is not always the case.

BEDAE01DDF324BF1BEE8F77F768EDD44.jpg

Attachments

• BEDAE01DDF324BF1BEE8F77F768EDD44.jpg
    BEDAE01DDF324BF1BEE8F77F768EDD44.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 62

acoleg

Reaction score
Here's a closeup of the Dickey's. Sorry for the poor photo.

BF9CA2DDA0A64218A87F551F0A548FAF.jpg

Attachments

• BF9CA2DDA0A64218A87F551F0A548FAF.jpg
    BF9CA2DDA0A64218A87F551F0A548FAF.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 59

Plumbata

Reaction score
Welcome to the hobby! Looks like you had a good time getting your feet wet. I like that Eye water bottle, those cylinder style meds are really nice (and relatively compact) display items. Never dug one of those, but I bet you will be able to find some Murine eye remedies and Thompson's eye waters to go with it.

Thanks for posting and good luck on your digs! If you get the chance to prospect for dumpsites, be sure to walk all the creeks, rivers, or ravines in the older areas and pay close attention to any exposed creek bank strata, shards in the gravel from upstream, and shards or coal clinkers in ravines or depressions.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Nice digs, Aaron!! Digging up old bottles is great fun, as long as you don't develop lofty expectations or do it for the money.. get out there, enjoy the exercise, the fresh air, the excitement of what will pop out of the ground next.. have a blast!!! [:)]

RedGinger

Reaction score
Way to go! I really like the snuff bottles and marbles. Please keep us updated on your finds. Glad to hear some members were helpful.

madman

Reaction score
AH YES VERY NICE! LOOKS TO BE LATE 30S EARLY 40S, THE DICKEY EYE WATER IS COOL IVE DUG IN THE MAIN BRISTOL DUMP AND NEVER FOUND ONE LOL, ID GO BACK DIG DEEP, LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT SOME EARLY 30S IN THERE , KEEP POSTING PLEASE.....................

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Aaron,

A wave of the spade to you. Welcome to the sport. It sure is amazing to pull these fragile glass containers from the ground, isn't it. What's the green guy in the back row, right side?

D
i
g

On!

Moro.jpg

acoleg

Reaction score
Green bottle in the back is a Perrier bottle.

mr.fred

Reaction score
Looks like you made out nice----Welcome to digging[;)]-----and like Madman said-------------DIG DEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]--------Fred.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229