Went to a sale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixel

Reaction score
While on the internet the other day, I noticed a local indoor "yard sale" that was to happen this weekend. In the picture, they had a WALL of bottles, as well as many other interesting antiques. I knew that the shop had been a former antique shop by the address they gave on the internet.

Got there saturday about 11am(they opened at 10). The prices were CHEAP. The people that bought the building a while back are clearing it out for renovations, and the antique dealer before left everything in the building. They need to get rid of everything.

The photo shows my take. Some of the highlights are the dark green blob with a London, ON stopper for $3. The crown top quart with the labels was $25, but locally would be worth $100-$125. I also picked up a broken St.Thomas, ON blob. The blob is half missing, but it was $2, and a great place filler for a tough bottle. I paid $13 for both the small and large mortar and pestle together. The round bottom soda is from Montreal, but for $10, I couldnt turn it down.

The little pressed glass plate I paid 25 cents for. Upon coming home, I find it is 1840-1850, Sandwich Glass company. Doesnt have a ton of value, but it was 25 cents. I also paid 25 cents for the black "Athenian" ware piece in the back row(1915 or so).

The key piece for me is the brass piece in the front. The shop was formally a pharmacy before an antique shop. It is a suppository mold from about 1880 or possibly before. I paid $30 for it, but upon doing some research, I figure I can make a few bucks on it if I sell it.

I also have a local mixing bowl (Glass Bros pottery, London, Ontario). They normally sell for about $50. I paid $5 for it, and its in great shape.

They had lots of very rare pottery and such at the sale for VERY cheap, but it was all was missing handles, large cracks and chips. No local crocks or jugs, but some cool bennington jugs, etc, but as I said, all damaged heavily.

Overall, I think I spent right around $95, but I got some great items for the collection, some items that will go to Ebay, and some the will go in my antique booth. I might go back next weekend and see about making a deal on some more of the local bottles they have that they had overpriced.

BF7C6620A6E04A2FAC02C93B04528D7D.jpg

Attachments

• BF7C6620A6E04A2FAC02C93B04528D7D.jpg
    BF7C6620A6E04A2FAC02C93B04528D7D.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 63

RCO

Reaction score
its the time of year there can be some good bargains if you look around , i get the feeling there are alot of antique vendors with alot of stuff there itching to get rid of . i think some of them were hoping it go up in value but are now realising the collectable market isn't yet going up to the prices they had hoped or people aren't yet willing to pay those prices .
i was at a couple antique malls in Barrie , ontario area on the weekend and saw lots and lots of neat items for sale , some great bargains were there if you looked hard . alot of the items i saw were overpriced at rediclous prices so i didn't buy them but did find some bottles at bargain prices of $ 5 each .

Bixel

Reaction score
It really was a huge mix of stuff. The antique dealer had kept everything he got, and set prices well above market value on most stuff, so a lot of items he had for years. His store was a place that many old time diggers would bring their stuff to right after a dig, still dirty. He would buy the box off them. This is how he picked up so much damaged china ware and porcelain items. It really was a shame seeing some of the items at the sale that would have been great pieces, if not cracked or had chunks missing.

As I said, the people that bought the building know nothing, or very little, about antiques. They had a friend come in who knows a bunch, and he priced the stuff at prices to move.

Next weekend I will be back. They have a few items that I might want to package together, and they still have a bit more stuff to pull out of the basement.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26