What can you tell me about this bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

olddude

Reaction score
I finally decided to go through some of these boxes of old bottles I have found while Relic, fossil, and arrowhead hunting. I have so many I would like to find more about and I'' start with this one. I've been looking around and I have found info on a lot of them but this one I wasn't able to do much with.

It has a circle in the middle with, C. Samuel on the top , Either G or a C then an S in the center and under that is Canton PA. On the back side it has, This Bottle Not To Be Sold. On the base it has Putnam with the crude number what I think is 26. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 138

DavidW

Reaction score

olddude

Reaction score
olddude, it's a blob-top beer (or possibly mineral water) bottle. Sometimes those companies bottled both beer AND mineral water (soda water) so it might have held either product. Probably from the 1880s-1890s era. I found a few "hutch" sodas from C. Samuel on the Worthopedia archive. Here is one:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/s-samuel-canton-pa-blob-top-soda-1975134930
Thanks, I'm kind of new to this and I'm finding it takes a great deal of time to search all this stuff. Probably wouldn't be so bad if you was looking it up as you go but this stuff has been sitting in corners for years. I've looked at it for years and it always turned to maybe next week. LOL I spent 31/2 hours yesterday on one site just looking at old Bromo Seltzer bottles. I never realized how many different kinds there was. Oh and do you have any idea what the worth is on that bottle. Not that I plan on selling it just yet I just want to get an idea of what all this stuff would be worth to someone once I kick the bucket. I'm sure the ones left behind would want to know anyhow.

olddude

Reaction score
Here is another one I've had trouble with. It's a little shy of 7" tall, a little over 3" at the base. The neck leans to the left a little. The front has THE I. TRACER CO. The C in Tracer has a little tail at the bottom end of the C so it may be a G. Under that is CINCINNATI. O. It has what looks like a backwards 2 that runs side ways to the face of the bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.JPG
    IMG_1271.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1272 (2).JPG
    IMG_1272 (2).JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1274 (2).JPG
    IMG_1274 (2).JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 98

bottle-bud

Reaction score
I finally decided to go through some of these boxes of old bottles I have found while Relic, fossil, and arrowhead hunting. I have so many I would like to find more about and I'' start with this one. I've been looking around and I have found info on a lot of them but this one I wasn't able to do much with.

It has a circle in the middle with, C. Samuel on the top , Either G or a C then an S in the center and under that is Canton PA. On the back side it has, This Bottle Not To Be Sold. On the base it has Putnam with the crude number what I think is 26. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I found a neat little article for G. Samuel. I am not sure that your bottle dates to the article, but it was fun to read.

1649782018394.png

1649782062859.png

Another ad says he bottled both beer and soda.

1649782217367.png

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Here is another one I've had trouble with. It's a little shy of 7" tall, a little over 3" at the base. The neck leans to the left a little. The front has THE I. TRACER CO. The C in Tracer has a little tail at the bottom end of the C so it may be a G. Under that is CINCINNATI. O. It has what looks like a backwards 2 that runs side ways to the face of the bottle.

Here is an ad from 1904 that shows a flask bottle similar to yours

1649782653677.png

1649782683018.png

olddude

Reaction score
Here is an ad from 1904 that shows a flask bottle similar to yours

View attachment 236129

View attachment 236130
Thanks for those adds That's cool. The C or G in the name is weird, I found a little info with the name spelled both ways, both Tracer and Trager Co. I read somewhere that sometimes companys would add a little line or mark on the tail of what was a C to indicate a G. in other words the little horizontal line on a normal 'G' would be facing out or downward to indicate a G. If any of that made sense. LOL
And I had heard that that bottle could be either a beer or soda bottle. I wonder if there would be any way to tell which?

K6TIM

Reaction score
Thanks for those adds That's cool. The C or G in the name is weird, I found a little info with the name spelled both ways, both Tracer and Trager Co. I read somewhere that sometimes companys would add a little line or mark on the tail of what was a C to indicate a G. in other words the little horizontal line on a normal 'G' would be facing out or downward to indicate a G. If any of that made sense. LOL
And I had heard that that bottle could be either a beer or soda bottle. I wonder if there would be any way to tell which?
It's a blob top bottle in green bottle glass.It probablp a beer bottle dating back to the late 1800's!

K6TIM

Reaction score

Your bottle was used for carbonated beverages.The blob top on this bottle tell you that!The bottle has a "applied" lip look at the dripping below the lip!The bottle is a natural green glass found on lots of bottles.Example the coco cola hobby skirt bottle.This is because the sand that is used to make the glass batch wasn't fined out,and iron remains in the sand turns the glass green!.This bottle is frosted in appearence is from outside weather elements like wind!This sometime is done by the bottle manufacture too!
TIM

olddude

Reaction score
Your bottle was used for carbonated beverages.The blob top on this bottle tell you that!The bottle has a "applied" lip look at the dripping below the lip!The bottle is a natural green glass found on lots of bottles.Example the coco cola hobby skirt bottle.This is because the sand that is used to make the glass batch wasn't fined out,and iron remains in the sand turns the glass green!.This bottle is frosted in appearence is from outside weather elements like wind!This sometime is done by the bottle manufacture too!
TIM
Thanks, I like this one for some reason. The frosting on this one looks like it may have been done at the factory because it is so consistant all over from top to bottom. I'm wondering though, why would there be writing, 'This bottle not to be sold' on the back?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese