What can you tell me about this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

snapshot

Reaction score
I dug this out of an old burn dump. It's about 8" tall, weighs about a pound and the seams stop on the outside of the lip but don't go over the top. The bottom is pushed in and has a bumpy swirled mark in the center. Anyone have any idea about age or any other info?

Vt57148.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57148.jpg
    Vt57148.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 79

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
First guess would be a wine decanter, 2nd guess would be vinegar. C. 1920-40.[:D]

Bottleman

Reaction score
I am pretty sure this has a smoothed out pontil base. Instead of snapping the rod off to make an open pontil, they swirled it around into the bottom of the bottle. That’s why you have that swirl pattern and the small indent is where they pulled the rod out at the end. I would say is dates back to the mid to late 1800s and agree with thediggerboy what it is.

~~Tom

medbottle

Reaction score
Greetings all. I also believe it to be a vinegar cruet. It looks more like pressed glass than cut. Try doing a search for EAPG (Early American Pressed Glass)...maybe you'll find a matching pattern. That mark on the bottom is not a pontil. A collector of cruets gave a talk at our bottle club, and he noted that many people believe these marks to be pontils, but they are due to another method of manufacturing. Unfortunatley, I can't remember the details. I hope this helps.

David E

Reaction score
Think Medbottle is right it is pressed and also whoever said it was wine decanter I would agree as my Grandmother (Scot) made her own wine. From the little Keg she filled that Decanter (had a square stopper) I liked to tap the keg and fill my mouth.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen