What did these hold back in the day?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
I can not come up with the name for these guys, common but old. Ones pontilled, one just barely missed. I need to be able to describe them. THANX

0C9B4F0C3F2E49C0A6FBC765F11E8486.jpg

Attachments

• 0C9B4F0C3F2E49C0A6FBC765F11E8486.jpg
    0C9B4F0C3F2E49C0A6FBC765F11E8486.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 79

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
Those are most commonly known as spice bottles...usually cinnamon, or other spices. The one with the applied top is western blown, while the rolled lip specimen is eastern made. These come in every color imaginable for glass, with aqua being common. I have seen them in green, cornflower blue, yellow, and even clear or amethyst. Dale

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: westernglassaddict

Those are most commonly known as spice bottles...usually cinnamon, or other spices. The one with the applied top is western blown, while the rolled lip specimen is eastern made. These come in every color imaginable for glass, with aqua being common. I have seen them in green, cornflower blue, yellow, and even clear or amethyst. Dale
Thank you Dale, I thought I remembered a little different name but I am sure you are correct about SPICE. I remember being at one of the early Santa Rosa shows where one collector brought an almost complete array of colors in these things along with embossed examples. That was his specialty, he had a sales table where he laid them out as an enticement to bring him examples he didn't have. No selling, just some trading of duplicates. I know several folks who started their own collections after seeing his. They, indeed, can be spectacular.

GLOPTOP

Reaction score
The guy that brought them to Santa Rosa show may have been John Thompson. He lives in Santa Rosa and specializes in pickles, peppersauces, and sauce bottles. Just saw him at the Reno Expo, he has been AWOL from the hobby for a long time. After seeing Lou Pelligrini's pickle and sauce display, I think that he is re-energized about bottles.

Dennis

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GLOPTOP

The guy that brought them to Santa Rosa show may have been John Thompson. He lives in Santa Rosa and specializes in pickles, peppersauces, and sauce bottles. Just saw him at the Reno Expo, he has been AWOL from the hobby for a long time. After seeing Lou Pelligrini's pickle and sauce display, I think that he is re-energized about bottles.

Dennis
Now those two names sure ring a bell. I just can't remember who the guy was that brought those spice bottles, Coulda been John.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960