What do you do when there's broken glass everywhere?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

creekwader

Reaction score
I pulled about 50 bottles out of a creek bed burried in the bank, and I think there are many more but how do I dig safely. Just to get to the bottles I collected, I had to walk over more broken glass than I have ever seen on, or in the ground. With each step I was worried that a piece or 5 would find it's way through my boots. Does Anyone have any ideas on how to make an area like that safer to dig? I think there are more in the ground. Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
A friend of mine has almost the same kind of dump,he told me he uses rubber wading boots "like fishing ones,but also good enough to stop glass or rusty nails breaking threw and pokin ya"....
also use heavy duty gloves!,a small spade shovel or hand shovel",which would be good enogh for clearing the top of debris and throw the junk into buckets.....

but as for diggn in a creek while water is running or deep i have really no advice.....

maybe somone here will be nice enough to answer...

IRISH

Reaction score
Thick heavy rubber boots are the best way to go, even in creeks I always have them on, everyone I know who uses wetsuit booties has been cut though the boots but the only time it's ever happened to me was a bit of glass fell in the top of my boot and stabbed me in two spots as I pulled the boot off [:eek:] . Sand is a pain in the youknowhat when it gets into rubber boots but it's better than glass coming though the bottom of them.

Sounds like a good spot you've got there.

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Im sorry but i would have to disagree.....i have owned plenty of rubber boots, and the get stabbed through easily. I have stepped on a small peice of glass (not even in a dump! Just walking!) and it went through the side of my boot at the bottom and stabbed the arch of my foot.....REALLY hurt and bled a lot......take a rubber boot and a knife and a regular shoe, and see which goes through first....rubber is more dangerous because it resists punture to a certain point, but then just splits it quickly....tennis shoes dont do that you have to go through hard rubber and cloth and the sole before you get to your foot......I would recommend getting a sturdy pair of outdoor high top SHOES that are of a gortex waterproof material. (Like murruel (sp?) or north face) If you are looking to not get wet but still have maximum grip and protection, then buy some neoprene waders that dont have built in shoes.....wear your outdoor shoes over them....the waders with the built on boot do not have good traction and can be puntured....Do what you want, but im just telling you from experience, shoes are better than boots, not to mention more comfortable, and the gortex will dry out reasonably quickly compared to regular shoes..... - Jon

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
by the way when you are picking out a shoe, be sure to look at the traction on the bottom and make sure it has lots of notches, like an off road tire (kind of).....If your wearin em in the river who cares about looks you want reliability

IRISH

Reaction score
There's rubber boots and rubber boots I suppose [;)] , you would be hard pressed to get a knife though the bottom of the one's I wear. Glass will of course get though nearly anything in some situations, I've worn a few pairs out to the point the glass cuts/wear in the bottom start to go most of the way though but never had a bit go though my boot and into my foot, and I've stood on a LOT of bit's of glass in the years I've worked creeks [;)] .

Whatever works to keep your toes attacted to your feet is fine I'd say [:D] .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles