What is the procedure to stop bruises and cracks ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I had a beer bottle that I've had for a long time and I noticed it was full of dirt so I washed it out a couple of weeks ago. I had it setting out on our kitchen table for a few days and intended to take a nice photo of it since it was clean. I was setting in my easy chair and I heard a long ping. I found that a huge crack appeared in the bottle. By the time it finished it went up from the base to the shoulder and then back down again. I will take a post a picture of it when I am back home.
Sad to hear but really Interesting! Definitely send a picture across.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I also think it has to do with the pressure they are under in the ground. Removing it releases that weight sometimes with less then admirable results. I think all diggers have dug a bottle before that is whole, only to have it fall into pieces in our hand or on the ground. The ones that crack all over but still stay in one piece I find weird. Broken in such a was as to still be locked together. I don't believe there is a sure fire remedy unfortunately.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
There are certain bottles that are susceptible to this and over time you will get a sense of what bottles might do this. Typically I see thermal cracking in stuff that is post-1900, especially in clear and aqua sodas and beers (and sometimes other clear medicines and pharmacy bottles) that come out of the Texas soil still shiny. Often, if it is going to crack, it will crack someday regardless of the care you take with it, but you can minimize this certainly by protecting the bottles from warming quickly (it is warming that seems to cause it, not cooling). I wrap them in towels when transferring them from a cold spot to a warm spot and I make sure I wash them in room-temperature water.
This was interesting insight and got me thinking. Could the composition of the glass have been designed for the product it held. I was thinking about how I like to chill my beer. Maybe the glass is made for withstanding the cold better and the contents, which is under pressure. So maybe the lack of pressure and cold is a stressful dynamic to the glass itself.
I am sure the gradual temperature changing is best for the prevention of cracking, but I have had at least two that just cracked without any real reason. Glass collecting is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Not really sure how much pressure could be in, say a soda bottle. Air pressure 15lbs per square inch, pretty constant for sake of argument. Lot of variables as to internal pressure mostly bottle temperature. I wonder if the sickness although superficial could be contributing to expansion and or contraction issues. Definitely weird science going on here! Just fate, they are all in a sense "ticking time bombs".
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Palani

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys I did not know this. In Hawaii we don't have this problem.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I personally think it was something to do with a change in the composition of the glass...manufacturing processes being in flux at that time.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Sad to hear but really Interesting! Definitely send a picture across.
Here is the beer bottle I mentioned and the tale of self imposed cracking gets sadder. The crack must have completed its circular journey through the glass because as I was handling it to take these pictures of it a huge chunk fell right off the side!!! :mad::(o_O Not very long ago this had been a complete bottle with only a tiny fish eye ping, which is no where near that crack. It had a lot of dirt in it so I washed it out with tepid tap water and it looked nice. The next day it was setting on a table when I heard the loud ping and the rest is history.
broke1.jpg

EdsFinds

Reaction score
Hmmm.....darn! I wish I had realized and read this advice just a few weeks ago. I just found a flask type whiskey bottle that was whole when I removed it from the ground. Not thinking, I washed it about 2 days later in hot soapy water. Well, needless to say, it now has a crack on the very bottom/side of it. I think everyone goes through this though. It happens.

EdsFinds

Reaction score
There are certain bottles that are susceptible to this and over time you will get a sense of what bottles might do this. Typically I see thermal cracking in stuff that is post-1900, especially in clear and aqua sodas and beers (and sometimes other clear medicines and pharmacy bottles) that come out of the Texas soil still shiny. Often, if it is going to crack, it will crack someday regardless of the care you take with it, but you can minimize this certainly by protecting the bottles from warming quickly (it is warming that seems to cause it, not cooling). I wrap them in towels when transferring them from a cold spot to a warm spot and I make sure I wash them in room-temperature water.
I like the cooler idea. Sounds like perfect sense. Now I know I need to take greater care when handling them.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1