What is this? Hand blown glass jar with Roses pattern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BARQS19

Reaction score
My dad got this out of an old barn years ago. it's some sort of a jar, handblown, and is in the shape of a rose bush? Is this a vase or a jar?

Ro42052.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Ro42052.jpg
    Ro42052.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 77

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
I could not open your photo, but by your description it sounds like a goofus glass pickle jar. Is it tall with a ground lip? Try ebedding your pix in the forum with a JPEG... Taz

BARQS19

Reaction score
Let me know if this pic works. I looked on ebay under Goofus glass and it looks just like it but all the Goofus glass is painted up. I'm not sure if you saw it or not but that New Orleans whiskey crock I put up a while back, I thought my dad found that in the attic of a house but in fact found it in a barn out in Lamar County next to this. Is Goofus Glass a reproduciton of this jar? What was in this jar?
Robert

Attachments

• Wt59374.jpg
    Wt59374.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 66

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi Barq, I would say that is goofus glass! It was usually pickles or a similar type thing... I read somewhere the glass was made to imitate more expensive glass forms.. Some was painted others not, and it came in different colors... The pix I have included are that of a large rose pattern pickle... the other with a gaudy greenish gold and red rose pattern. Est quess and year of manufaturing + or - 10 1890-1920 Hope this helps... Taz

Gd93607.jpg

Attachments

• Gd93607.jpg
    Gd93607.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 66

BARQS19

Reaction score
Neat jars. I guess they are not worth a lot then or are they? They were going for about $5 on ebay. Were these common?
Robert

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Neat jars. I guess they are not worth a lot then or are they? They were going for about $5 on ebay. Were these common? Hi Rob, I quess it is like all the other bottles, color and scarcity being the factor. The larger jars can bring $200+ I am not a expert with the goofus glass however. I only acquired the large pickle jar to go with my cathedral pickle collection because of the gothic-victorian style. If you do a search on the web you will come up with all sorts of info.... Taz

David E

Reaction score
Goofus glass, had one that sun colored, sold approx $10.00 long time back.
Dave
Antique book shows it as a gift that carnivals used to give out to customers, red, grn, gold,1890 to 1920. Bowls to syrups, Higest priced item in this book a compote for $65.00. Don't't find a jar.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter