What you do other than bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
One of my favorite books is "The Source" by James Mitchner... Mitchner is probably one of my favorite authors. Highly recommend him.
Incidentally, he did write a book about Afghanistan... it's called 'Caravans'. You can get some good insight into the country reading this.
He is one of the best ways to learn about history... next to digging, of course.
Most of his books start at the beginning.. which is why I haven't read Hawaii yet... never made it past the volcanoes forming the islands. But by starting at the beginning, you learn from the beginning and history makes a lot more sense.

Kate

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I help my wife with her restaurant and have my own window company. Being mayor of our city takes up alot of my time. Don't have as much time as I would like for digging bottles, fishing, bow hunting, bear and deer hunting lately. Gave most of that up due to no time. Had alot more free time in my 36 years of bachelorhood! Joe The Crow keeps my interest in bottles going. He calls every weekend, wanting to go dig, but lately it seems I have too much "going on" most of the time.

towhead

Reaction score
Search for Lake Superior Agates and Whitetail Deer Anters. Also, some amateur Wildlife Photography and gardens/landscaping, Metal Detecting....and spend some time in local Trivia and other competitions....

adshepard

Reaction score
I have two basic hobbies, scuba diving and bottle collecting. It was actually scuba diving that got me in to collecting bottles. My favorite dive site in Eastport, Maine is strewn with bottles and after years of just passing over them I finally dug one out of the mud. That was my "Dr. Manly Hardy's - Jaundice Bitters - Bangor, ME" and finding that hooked me.

Previous to that my time spent underwater was spent taking photographs. For a long time I actually brought the camera down, took pictures and grabbed bottles. Nowadays I generally just look for bottles.

You can see some of my underwater photography here:

http://www.geocities.com/alan.chepard@snet.net/passamaquoddy.html

These are the creatures I encounter on my bottle dives.

Alan

vll970

Reaction score
Wow, these photos are amazing. Are you a professional photographer?

Me, I am a banker so I don't have much time for anything these days. Bottles are my only hobby.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I have been collecting bottles ever since my mother brought me to the public library to hear these to guys from Long Island talk about digging up old railroad dumps. There was a one dollar raffle to win a blob beer, my mom entered my name I won and 30 years later Im still hooked (Thanks Mom!!). Like Alan I dive as a hobby. I started a fresh pasta co. about 18 years ago so Im into eating and cooking. Im a husband and dad to three boys. I like to hike to the tops of mountains and bagpipe. These are a few of my favorite things

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
olditractor...

I was born and raised in NJ... Patterson for many years and then Lake Hiawatha... Would like to go back and find some places to dive for bottles, but as I remember when I was a kid, the Pasaic River was pretty nasty!!! I lived just up the street from a slaughterhouse and I remember rivers of blood coming out from the pipes, draining right into the river...[:'(]

Like Coldwater Diver and AD Shepard, I dive for bottles. When the diving slows down, I like to read and research new places to dive for bottles... I like to sit in front of the woodstove and relax with a "cold one" and I like to chase the wife around the house when my sons are out with there friends and my 15 month old grandson is taking his nap!!![:D]

I would like to plan a road trip down south to maybe Philly, VA or NJ to do some bottle diving in warm water... All the good spots up here are freezing over right now, right Kevin?[&:]

Wayne

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Im sorry to say its true Wayne and unless we get warm weather and rain ice out is a long way off. Saltwater it will have to be.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I collect local Indian artifacts and Winchester rifles, especially the Model 1886.

7A6771F4C590487CA71E485CA337C143.jpg

Attachments

• 7A6771F4C590487CA71E485CA337C143.jpg
    7A6771F4C590487CA71E485CA337C143.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member