Whats up now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barberman

Reaction score
Being a barber in small town Kansas gives me plenty of permissions. I go 3 this week. All are on 1885 Sanborns and along the alley. Interested in finding a soda bottle from a local company, actually bottling companies were in town. Plenty of bottles from the later one, but NO bottles of the 1882 "Osage City Soda Water Works" have ever been found. One permission had the privy central/left in the yard. Using a 100' tape I scaled and measured to find the approximate location. So be it. Using dowsing rods I was able to find and area of interest within 2' of my measurements. Soil was soft below, but no crunching, pops or anything to make me say hmmmmm. Dug this one down 1' or so for test, no rubble, broken glass or debris.

My permission near downtown across the alley from a 1885 Roller Skating Rink would be a fine candidate for soda bottles. Probed my ass off today with a 4' and a 5.5' probe. Being a beginner I'm trying to learn. Yes, Yes I'm supposed to dig, but where? Sanborns are nice, but 127 years makes the dirt change. Here in small town Kansas, no doubt the privies were wood lined a few feet or so. The local soil is too black and rich to support deep holes. No bricks or stones were available in large quantities in 1885.

I feel some soft spots, that seem to probe quickly in the black rich soil, so guess I'll just start digging more. Never did hit something the felt like glass or china. Did a test garden in my backyard with broken coffee cups, 2' deep, got the feel.

I still think people in Kansas didn't throw bottles in the privy, but I'm going to satisfy my curisoity and FIND one and dig the crap out of it!

Comments appreciated. (nice ones) Rick

madman

Reaction score
barberman , sounds interesting, in my case most priveys along alleys were dipped , they also could be deeper than the probe your using, if there indeed dipped there may still be a small layer in the bottom, im sure they threw trash in them, id dig one along the alley to get a feel for them

rpinkham

Reaction score
Hi Rick, I feel your pain. Although ive been lucky enough to attend several digs and got the feel for city privies, the rural locations have eluded me so far. Have some permissions locally at some late 17 and early 18 sites but am at a loss as to where to dig. The homeowners would surely frown upon a series of unsuccessful test holes. My plan is to keep trying and possibly invite a more experienced person to come along.

I have also heard (although it may not apply in your case) that the local privies here were very shallow informal affairs that were shoveled out frequently and garbage was dumped elsewhere.

Guess i'm not much help to you! Hope you keep trying though. Perhaps the old town dump is accessible to you?

barberman

Reaction score
I need to hire a back hoe for my 1885 skating rink house, its abandoned and permission is open.

barberman

Reaction score
Big old town dump dates from 1930, but surly there were several other local dumps I'm not aware of.

barberman

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a 62 year old plumber who has dug alleys and yards installing water lines and sewers all his adult days.. He said in all his years he has never hit a pit of bottles. He said he had more luck in crawlspaces. His collection is pretty nice. Told him about privy digging and he was aware of it and didn't think it applied to this area of Kansas. (his opinion)

cadburys

Reaction score
Privy digging is a numbers game. The more you probe, the more you'll find. I never had anyone take me under their wing and show me the ropes; I had to learn it ALL by myself, so you can do it too. Listen for the crunch at 3 ft or deeper... then get out the shovel. The rest will be history.

No crunch=no dig.

Ant

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cadburys

Privy digging is a numbers game. The more you probe, the more you'll find. I never had anyone take me under their wing and show me the ropes; I had to learn it ALL by myself, so you can do it too. Listen for the crunch at 3 ft or deeper... then get out the shovel. The rest will be history.

No crunch=no dig.

Ant

What he said. and yes they threw trash in privy's in Kansas

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: barberman

Just got off the phone with a 62 year old plumber who has dug alleys and yards installing water lines and sewers all his adult days..  He said in all his years he has never hit a pit of bottles.  He said he had more luck in crawlspaces.  His collection is pretty nice.  Told him about privy digging and he was aware of it and didn't think it applied to this area of Kansas.  (his opinion)

he wasn't digging in the right place

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rpinkham

Hi Rick, I feel your pain. Although ive been lucky enough to attend several digs and got the feel for city privies, the rural locations have eluded me so far. Have some permissions locally at some late 17 and early 18 sites but am at a loss as to where to dig. The homeowners would surely frown upon a series of unsuccessful test holes. My plan is to keep trying and possibly invite a more experienced person to come along.

I have also heard (although it may not apply in your case) that the local privies here were very shallow informal affairs that were shoveled out frequently and garbage was dumped elsewhere.

Guess i'm not much help to you! Hope you keep trying though. Perhaps the old town dump is accessible to you?

As long as you put the yard back the way you left it,the home owners should not have a problem with it. We have dig ratty yards with no grass and we have dug yards that looked life golf courses,with out a problem.

If a family had 5 kids their privy couldn't be to shallow. That is 7 people craping in a shallow hole. Can you say what stinks? [:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26