Whats your BIG word?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I learn so much from this website not just about bottles. In another thread I learned a couple words ill probably never use but I still learned them. So let us see your big Word for the day so we can all learn something and you might even impress some of us lol
Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
HMMMMMM ..... thinking ! [8|]
Hi ....My BIG word is a Southern word . My word is mayonnaise ! Here's a couple of examples of it in a sentence. Mayonnaise a lot of people in here ! Or mayonnnaise a whole bunch of bottles in that hole right there ! Well , that thar is my big wurd of this here day!

bne74honda

Reaction score
You asked!! This comes from my son...the one with the hungry weasel...

Pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism

Meaning - "False opposition to the withdrawl of State support from a church"

(be glad that's the one I chose...deoxyribonucleic acid {DNA} actually has 207,000 letters but has never been printed in full!!)

flasherr

Reaction score
LOL a word with that many letters no wonder they call it DNA( do not attempt). Pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism
That is another word I will never use I don't imagine. Now mayonnaise thats one I can relate to. It is a lil more country than me. Texas has their own vocabulary. Onto, ight, Yall, coke,
Texan #1: Lets go dig a crapper...... onto?
Texan #2: Ight lets go see what kind of crap we can go dig up.
Texan #1: Yall load up the tools.
Texan #2: Lets stop and get a coke
Texan #1: ight
Texan #2: Im gonna get a DR pepper what kinda coke you want?
Texan #1: Yea I want a DR Pepper too.
In Texas everything is a coke we just have different flavors Such as DR Pepper, Coca Cola, Pepsi ect.....
I don't have any impressive big words right now but i have my Texan vocabulary
Brian

IRISH

Reaction score
Be funny when Harry see's this thread [;)] . My favorite "big" word right now is triboluminescence, not so much the word by itself but what it is too, that being the transformation of the energy of an impact into light energy (gross simplification here but that sums up the meaning of the word), it's a thing that's always fascinated me when Sapphire digging underground and the "ghost fire" flashes in the dark when the pick hits a lump of quartz (the most common triboluminescent mineral).
Next time anyone is around Quartz in the dark get two lumps and bang them together and you will see your own display of triboluminescence [:D] .

flasherr

Reaction score
Well, since I am in Texas I don't think I will be digging for sapphires anytime soon. But i put your word triboluminescence in google to see what it came up with and I found I can do the same thing with wintergreen lifesavers. Im not sure you have that candy in Australia. I cant wait to get some and look at myself in a mirror in the dark and start chomping so i can see triboluminescence come from my mouth lol. So it will have to do till I dig some quartz. http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/9911/tribo.htm
Brian[:D]

IRISH

Reaction score
flasherr, we get lifesavers but I've never seen wintergreen ones, I'll see if I can find some, bit of a worry as to what they would have in them that makes them triboluminescent though [:-] .

Roger, that's a good one [:D] .

David E

Reaction score
I beg to differ aluminum is the most common on earth, and quartz is great to crush to make crystal.
What language do you want my big word in, yes I speak more of them than the Pope.
Except I cain't speel. or type.
No I wouldn't sign this either,

flasherr

Reaction score
The website I listed on my last post tells why the lifesaver does it and includes a picture of it. http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/9911/tribo.htm
I wonder where Harry is ive been expecting a post from him on this one lol. The S mile S one is cute. I cant spell or type either thank goodness for spellchecker. I prefer the words to be in the English dictionary so I can look them up. Well im off to find some bargains at the garage sales ill check in when i get back
Brian

Vt56279.jpg

Attachments

• Vt56279.jpg
    Vt56279.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 71

baltbottles

Reaction score
Big word of the day hmmm...

Well i kind of always liked this one

Sesquipedalophobia

it means the fear of long words