Wheat Pennies

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

The Bottleman

Reaction score
I have recently sorted all my wheat pennies I have accumulated and have them sorted by date and mint mark on a spreadsheet. I have over 800 of them dating from 1910-1958 and live in west tenn. If anyone is interested in them or could like give me an estimate of what they are worth feel free to message or email me and i will send you the spreadsheet,
Thanks

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Check this out: http://www.coin-collecting-guide-for-beginners.com/rare-wheat-pennies.html

glass man

Reaction score
DANG! I HAD 28 1943 COPPER WHEAT PENNIES AND I SPENT THEM ON A TWO BITE CANDY BAR! OH WELL! WERE THEY WORTH ANY THING?

SORRY BOTTLEMAN JUST BEING SILLY,PER USUAL!

HOPE YOU DO GREAT WITH YOUR WHEAT PENNIES!!!!! JAMIE

athometoo

Reaction score
i hope no wheat was harmed in making these pennies . if so wheata might get involved [:D]

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Wheat pennies are quite possibly one of my favorite coins. I kept a 1909 VDB and a 1943 steel cent when I sold my collection a few months back. Of course my favorite would have to be the Franklin Half dollar, good on ya Ben!

Lordbud

Reaction score
I work retail and up until recently after almost 5 years, I found numerous wheat pennies in the cash register which I traded penny for penny out of my pocket. I live in an older town in the South Bay that might account for the few hundred wheat pennies I've recovered. Best one is a 1914-S cent in surprisingly good condition F-20 or there abouts. 10 silver quarters. Silver dimes - both "Mercury" and a few Roosevelts.
A 1906 Indian head cent. And most recently a 1961-D Benjamin Franklin 50 cent piece. Is that much old change still out there? Generally speaking? Anyone else work retail? One morning recovered a couple of sets of 15 year old matte proofs someone decided to break up for some cigarettes...

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
My wife is in retail, and she finds the same stuff all the time too. Much more lately, I suspect that with the bad economy and such, people are digging into the sofa and sock drawers.
She has found U.S Notes (they have a red Treasury seal, not green), a Silver Certificate and various coins in the last couple years.

Jenztwk

Reaction score
To be honest.. I am more so into coin collecting than bottle collecting (less space required). I actually have an almost completely empty book where wheat pennies go in. Where are you located at? I'm sure they'd be expensive to ship via.. I'm in Maine. My dad use to have a collection of wheat pennies (rolls upon rolls), but they were stolen by a relative and cashed in.

Also, I have no idea what you want for a price, nor would I know what to offer either.. Just one thing though, don't put them in with the pocket change.. they have a higher copper content than the zinc ones today and are probably worth more than a penny by the weight of the copper content inside.

~*Jen

morbious_fod

Reaction score
There are still quite a few older coins to be had in change. I still find 1938 Jefferson Nickels, first year of release, in change every so often, I have also pulled the silver nickels from the war era as well. Given enough time you could put together a decent Jefferson nickel collection from change because no one pays any attention to them. Silver dimes, quarters, and halves are easy to spot, but wheats are a bit harder due to their having the same obverse as the modern versions. I've personally never pulled any of the red seals or silver certificates from the wild; however, the secretary at my last job pulled a red seal five dollar note one day, which re-sparked my interest in collecting coins.

Personally I think it is far past time to change the coinage in this country. Usually a coin design stuck around only for a decade or two before being changed; however, with the advent of putting dead guys on coins they have stopped redesigning them, and the days of beautiful designs that inspire people to collect are long gone. This simply must change.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson