WHERE ARE THE YOUNG PEOPLE?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Are you saying I am neglecting my duties? I oughta had cut it loose by now?

Just for this, I'm leaving it stuck up top for 2 more months, punk..

BFF36E83E8AA4AADB2AC981C10BB5AF6.jpg

Punk? Come on Charlie you can't be more original than that?

What ya gonna do, ban me?

Wait I forgot it's 'Never Had an Original Thought Charlie, I Need A Life' eg. 'Lobeys Brick'-----'Secret Santa' Lobeys idea I'll remind ya of, and that calander that someone else thought of.

As far as leaving it up.....hell I don't care. I know it's not your site, your just 'a mop and bucket boy'

Now if I can just remember what I said when you went begging to Roger to be a mod...............now that's a punk.

If ya feel the need to drop out again...........please feel free[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Gun fight at high noon,bring the popcorn

I think he was kidding when he called you" punk" Barney always called people punk,don't you remember the show? I sure do.

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Poison_Us

For those who just joined our club, you may have read this article by one of our members in the latest newsletter. It's fairly relevant to the hot discussions that are going on now about secrets, money and such. I have refrained from being engaged in them as I would rather hear everyone's points of view....I couldn't add anything that hasn't already been said.
But with that, I have decided to copy the words of John (no bible verse here) for all to consider....but it's something we have all faced in our bottle collecting history...even us of just collectors of almost 5 years (how time flies). I'm not posting this to take sides, or point fingers...everyone has a part in this hobby, digger, collector and dealer alike...and I respect you all....as if it wasnt for all parties, we wouldn't have most of our collection. And now, a few words from John (sorry in advance for any type-Os).

Where are the young people?

An often asked question, at bottle shows, is where are the young people?

I would like to offer my thoughts on that question. First, bottles in any category are expensive! Most collectors want the better bottles, so supply and demand forces up the price. Most young people, starting to raise families, paying a mortgage, etc., just can’t compete.

I know this statement will get a negative response but here goes. I believe that many of our present collectors and their greed is our biggest problem. Today we constantly look at price guides and/or ebay to see what a bottle is “worth†and that is the selling price we want regardless of what we paid to purchase the bottle.

Many have changed from being a collector to being a dealer. Many have lost their enthusiasm for sharing and promoting our hobby to using their knowledge and connections for a source of revenue generation.

When I first started collecting, many years ago, most of the old time collectors were more interested in promoting and encouraging new collectors then they were in the almighty dollar. If they got a deal on a bottle, they shared their good fortune, and you got a good deal.

Our present day hobby is fast becoming who has the most money, not in the true beauty and enjoyment of the bottle itself, nor is the history of the bottle. Many now hardly take time to enjoy their latest purchase before it’s on a shelf and they are off looking for another conquest.

My conclusion, for what it’s worth, if we truly want an answer to why young people are not participating, look in the mirror!

If you want to help change this, then maybe we need to get back to promoting our hobby and give the starting collectors a break. Watch their faces light up, and share their enthusiasm. Remember we had that “child like†attitude when we first started.

Fortunately, there are still a few collectors left who say, “I don’t have very much invested in that bottle, so I can give you a breakâ€. We need more of those types!

Which type are you?
I dont mind getting dirty,ill admit im not a fan being covered in mud though.I havent done any true digging as i havent found a place to dig,though i do enjoy walking creeks and the like,I dont find bottles very often but i like seeing the sights.I also hunt and fish(though bottles have kept me outta the woods alot this year[;)])There are few things more enjoyable than walking through the Mississippi woods early in the morning(unless its 20 degrees)Hey Peej,ya think you could come down here come Spring with that green thumb?Ya see,Ive got a brownish yellow green thumb,you know,the color of wilting ,dying plants?[8|]

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

Wait I forgot it's 'Never Had an Original Thought Charlie, I Need A Life' eg. 'Lobeys Brick'-----'Secret Santa' Lobeys idea I'll remind ya of, and that calander that someone else thought of.

As far as leaving it up.....hell I don't care. I know it's not your site, your just 'a mop and bucket boy'

Now if I can just remember what I said when you went begging to Roger to be a mod...............now that's a punk.

If ya feel the need to drop out again...........please feel free[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I think he was kidding when he called you" punk" Barney always called people punk,don't you remember the show? I sure do.
Ill bring the popcorn[;)]...............if you dig the hole(s)[8|]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: carobran

ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

Ill bring the popcorn[;)]...............if you dig the hole(s)[8|]

"Hole" there will be only one standing.

---------------> http://youtu.be/mNc4TBOBaw0 [;)]

towhead

Reaction score
Knock it off you guys!

330B988E9FF34DA8A6D5E271B0559832.jpg

Attachments

• 330B988E9FF34DA8A6D5E271B0559832.jpg
    330B988E9FF34DA8A6D5E271B0559832.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 79

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

And all this time I thought we were the young people.... Now I think I need a nap.

Touche! If anything, we need more adults or people behaving like adults here. And that's my two cents, take it or leave it.

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
I spend most of my time outdoors sniffing for adventure! I dont spend much time on tv and One of the only reasons I go on the internet daily is to post on bottle forums. I like to decorate with bottles that i dig up in the woods, find on the beach, and ones I buy. I'm hooked on bottle digging for life!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973