Where to dig??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wvhillbilly

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips on where to dig. Do you just look in old garbage dumps you find ontop of the ground (like I have been doing) or do you just walk around old towns that are all tore down looking for them sticking out of the ground[8|] I found my White House Vinegar jar stinking out of the ground while walking in the middle of the woods! Lucky Me a $20 find[8D] If only I found 20 more lol...

crkgrl

Reaction score
If you look back over the "digging and finding" threads, you will get some great advice. I am a novice here, but if you find a lot of broken glass, that is usually a sign there is more under the ground. Many here look on hillsides around old buildings and farmhouses. Anywhere someone would throw their trash. Some towns have old maps where you can actually locate old dumps and houses. Creeks and rivers are also good spots.

FIGGINS DIGGINS

Reaction score
Hey There Hillbilly,

If you haven't already check into probes. Probing took me to a whole new level of bottle digging. Always be aware of the hidden dangers though, underground power lines, gas lines, and so on are very dangerous. If you are way out in the sticks this is usually not an issue but never risk it and never ever risk it in town. There is stuff going everywhere underground in most towns and what is not dangerous enough to seriously injure you or worse is usually very expensive to repair if damaged. A buddy of mine got a gas-line last year. He won't be forgetting his bill very soon and was very lucky it was not a high-voltage line. Great Tool though if used properly. Good Luck!!!

wvhillbilly

Reaction score
Well I do live in the sticks. I have been thinking about trying a probe but Im still waiting to find a good digging site. I know were a ghost town is that is supposed to be very very old but the CSX tore out the railroad crossing and I cant get my 4-wheeler back to the town and its about a 10 mile walk[:(]

madman

Reaction score
yo wv i bet theres alot of dumps in those there mountains, best of luck mike

FIGGINS DIGGINS

Reaction score
Man, that really sounds like a good prospect out there. Whenever you do get out there you may still have trouble locating your dump or dumps because of leaf-litter, dense foliage, or whatever. Sometimes those goodies are laying just barely outta sight. I hear tell that a cheap metal detector can really help in these situations. No, of course it will not detect bottles, but it can detect remnants of old metal cans and things which in turn usually will lead you to the location of the bottles. That's what I heard anyway. Never tried it but it made a lot of sense to me when I heard it. I don't have any woods around here to try it out on. I'm right smack-dab in the middle of town over here now. I haven't ridden my 4-wheeler in 6 months. The law wants to get you for riding on the road (even gravels), the farmers don't want you on any of their land or turnrows, and on the public ground you got the Ranger shaking his finger at you because of soil erosion. I gotta get me a place out in the sticks before I go nuts. We'll holler at you later Hillbilly!!! Good luck!

wvhillbilly

Reaction score
Ive got access to a metal detector but it isnt a very good one.
I checked again last night and CSX hasnt got the crossing back in yet[>:]

Around here people dont care if you ride your 4-wheeler the police dont stop you or anything heck they ride on the rodes to lol some times you can see a couple hundred 4 wheelers in a day of riding[8|]

FIGGINS DIGGINS

Reaction score
Man, that sounds like heaven out there. I may be moving soon.( I wished ) That metal detector doesn't have to be anything fancy at all. Before you take it out see what it will do in your yard on old tin cans and things. When you get it working the way you like it just take note of where the knobs are set ( or you can mark them ), make sure you got extra batteries, and take off! If you would like to have my recipe for the world's cheapest make it yourself probe just let me know. Have a good one Hillbilly!!!

wvhillbilly

Reaction score
Sure I'd like the recipe

It might be a while before probin the place I just found (see lucky beer bottle find) but Ill use it in the future[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete