Which Privy To Dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tidajo

Reaction score
In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a bottle collector, but I have been warned that I may become one!!

I do love to metal detect, and have ample access to old home sites (Please don't hate, just the area I live in! lol)

I joined this site, because after a lot of Google searching, I found a wealth of privy digging experience right here, and i hope you can share that knowledge.

I keep seeing the ares around foundations that were obviously the last privy before the house was removed/ burned, torn down, and have become very interested in seeing what they hold.
I understand bottles, and why they are there, but it the coins and relics that really interest me.

That being said, I am looking at three distinctly different sites for my first dig, and am looking for input as to which one could be the most productive.

A- Homestead dating back to 1700s. Mid 1800s home was moved off of foundation and up the road, and I believe I found a location of an older home and privy just behind the cellar hole. Property was home to the minister of the Meeting House / church across the street.
So a privy here may date to early to mid 1800s.

B- typical home that shows on an 1875 map but not on 1947. Found cellar hole and a few depressions that are likely to be privies.

C- Old one room school house. Foundation still there, and last outhouse site is obvious. School shows on 1875 map, and I found a toy from the 40's.

Would early 1800s be more productive that late 1800s "regular" home?
Would a turn of the century school offer something different?

Any advice or thoughts?

appliedlips

Reaction score
Even early 1800 homes had mid and late 1800 privies, late 1800 homes don't have earlier privies so yes in that regard. As far as most productive its a guess,the most productive privy will have the higher quality bottles thrown down them and cleaned the least. City privies are typically better than small towns or rural sites. I have dug several one room school sites with very little success but anything is possible. Looks like u get to answer your own question by digging them, that's the fun part.Goodluck

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
It is very simple really. Dig them all........you never know.........

Tidajo

Reaction score
Appliedlips; thanks for sharing the experience, and also thanks to all for the input.

And thanks to the rest for the advice!

I can't dig all three right now. I have to avoid the woods during hunting season, and then I'm at the mercy of winter.

I was hoping to ignite a conversation as to which privies have shown to be more productive than others. But maybe there isn't a pattern to be found!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Tidajo

Appliedlips; thanks for sharing the experience, and also thanks to all for the input.

And thanks to the rest for the advice!

I can't dig all three right now. I have to avoid the woods during hunting season, and then I'm at the mercy of winter.

I was hoping to ignite a conversation as to which privies have shown to be more productive than others. But maybe there isn't a pattern to be found!
Really no pattern, every privy is different, if you can research your cities history enough you can sometimes avoid privies that have been dipped, but even that is no guarantee of what you will find...Aaaaaaaaaaaaas The Rickster well knows........

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
I would definitely go with option "A". They took apart buildings to move them and anthing that wasn't necessary went right in the sh..ter or cistern. I've had really good luck on these sites and have a couple I'd like to get back to. But then again if you take all of our experience,theories and good ideas dumb luck usually rules. Happy digs... DD

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese