Whiskey Bottles found under floorboard - need help on one!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score

39BEBF4EA29E4E95B66565F663F66C54.jpg

Attachments

• 39BEBF4EA29E4E95B66565F663F66C54.jpg
    39BEBF4EA29E4E95B66565F663F66C54.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 66

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: carling

Surfaceone,

Here's a couple more photos of the 66 bottle.  I thought it was GG until I saw the little back label.

218D4B8EB7F747C5BC18A9C8E82C68C4.jpg

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the additional photos, and excellent internet blood hounding. The letterhead font on that Cass Sunstein reminds me of the C.S. & Sons label.

I wanna know your secrets to this underfloorboard cache finding. I'm imagining that there is more than a little floorboard rending that goes into something like this.

Could not miss the 6 degrees of seperation to the Administration's Regulatory Czar.

288px-Sunstein.jpg

"Once we know that people are human and there's some Homer Simpson in them,
then there's a lot that can be done to manipulate them." Cass Sunstein, 2008

GACDIG

Reaction score
Love the litho on the Slivovitz. Must of been fun finding these goodies.[:)]

carling

Reaction score
Surfaceone.......Geez, that was an old post you pulled up of mine. And you found the more recent one, too.

Well, there's not too much to tell on the attic hunting. I get the opportunity to get into some condemned houses before they tear them down. My buddy has a contact at a demo company, and he would get a list of houses getting bulldozed. We would have permission to get in before they ripped them down, which was awesome.

All I use is a flashlight and a mirror to look under the floorboards. It seems like it takes about a hundred houses before I find anything.

If the attic has been insulated, forget it. Insulation is my enemy. I also find a lot of ruined labels from water damage (leaking roofs), or rodent damage (leaking bladders).

It also has to be an attic that when they laid the flooring, they left a gap before the flooring meets the sloped roof. It's common in the old bigger houses around here. Usually its a few inches to a couple feet gap, big enough to reach under and hide some bottles.

I forgot to mention, got to watch out for the racoons. They love those abandoned attics, plus they crap everywhere which sucks. I once looked under one floorboard and there were two sleeping baby racoons curled up together. I didn't see mama , but I got the hell out of there fast!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Rick,

Many thanks for the fine points of condemned attic fishing. I've been in a handful of condemned houses before they were torn down. I must admit, it scares the hockey sticks outta me. I generally hunt alone, and have found disaterously rotted floor boards and stairs in a few of these old wrecks. I always imagine disturbing the undead crackhead...or waking up the next day in the basement with a broken leg...[8D]

Do you attic fish with a buddy? Go armed? You've certainly had remarkable success, after a lot of hard work. A major wave of the spade to you!

Attic-Treasures2.jpg

toddrandolph

Reaction score
The Saegertown bottle is cool. The aqua crown tops with Saegertown embossed around the shoulder are extremely common in dumps, but never saw one with a label.

I used to do the same thing with the condemned houses in Cleveland, but my contact now has a different job with no access. It was fun, but I never found anything really good. I did get into one of the hospitals before it was torn down and got some decent stuff out of there. I don't mind dirt and rodents and rotting floorboards, but the condition that some of the tenants left the houses in when they moved out is to say the least, very disturbing. I quickly learned that anything wood or porous is usually not salvageable. It's impossible to remove the smell of roaches and filth.

carling

Reaction score
Surfaceone,

Yes, definitely with a friend most of the time, and armed. Not much area left in Cleveland that isn't dangerous.

Twice I've almost fallen through floors, once in a stairwell and the other time in an attic. Both times I fell up to my armpits, but my arms stopped me between the floor beams and I was able to yank myself up. I did get some nice bruises, but luckily that was it. When I almost fell through the attic floor, I would have landed in a bedroom on top of a mattress some homeless person had been sleeping on, so I probably would have been alright except for bed bugs.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie