Why asking permission is better

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MaineMtnDigger

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are probably are apprehensive in attaining permission but trust me there have been instances where talking to the land owner has proven entirely more productive then if I where to sneak around in the bushes. I have also found that your chances are greater then people think in attaining this than they think. Some people might not let you like the one this past summer who said " If you step one foot on my property I’ll shoot you’re a**", no joke. Then there are others like the one I got awhile back that not only let me dig on her property, she also let me park on her lawn and told me about a dump that I had no idea about. In this dump is where I have found mostly 1890’s stuff but there was a layer that had open pontil bottles just waiting to be dug.
I first started off looking for this dump that they told me about by walking around the lower part of a flood plane that was just at the bottom of a sharp drop off about 100 yards behind there house. This flood plane sits just behind every old house in the middle of this town on one side of the two main streets that the fork around a small stream that flows though the middle of town. I first dug a small rarely used dump that had some stuff but didn’t prove to be all that worth wild to dig since you would become incredibly muddy when you dig it. So I started to look for another one down the side of the bank moving closer to other houses. While literally crawling though sticker bushes and low lying branches, I started to see glass on the surface. I finally got to a spot where I said to myself, I’ve got to dig just to see how good this spot would become. After pulling out twenty to fifty bottles out of a whole about 3x3 in size, I realized that this is it. About three years later I’m just now wrapping it up. The dump ended up being about 30 ft long from side to side, with a 15 to 20 ft slopping drop off. At some spots my brother and I where about six ft deep into our digs each having our own hole. The weird part about this dump was, I let one of my friends dig it with his wife and they took off the first three ft finding hundreds of bottles and at that point I thought it was totally dug out. Then I told my brother about this dump when he came up to visit from Memphis and he had found another use layer 3 1/2 deeper, that put the dump at around 8 to 9 feet in depth. All in all we pulled out thousands of bottles mostly commons and local meds. But some noteworthy bottles would be A Prussian blue cone ink, amber Hayner’s four city whiskey, applied top gin bottles, applied top strap sided whiskey flask from Boston, Stoneware jugs, open pontil Swain’s Panacea Philadelphia olive amber, teal sp pepper sauce bottles, G2-2 geometric ink, and countless other amount of junk, combs, tooth brushes, clay pipes pocket watches, and a ungodly amount of broken blue slip stoneware jugs, crocks and red ware plates, kelly's tobacco cure, lightning balls, a dozen amber cone inks, actually the list is so long I'll stop here. Lets just say its a good dump.
[/align]

6202CFE214FD44568DC149D2F0A136AF.jpg

Attachments

• 6202CFE214FD44568DC149D2F0A136AF.jpg
    6202CFE214FD44568DC149D2F0A136AF.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 69

Alek77

Reaction score
I agree to ask for permission I need to start doing that more[:D][:)]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads