Why I don't give up on ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jays emporium

Reaction score
Texas Pride San Antonio Brewing Pearl label Beer Bottle

I bought this labeled Texas beer bottle at a bottle show for $10. If I had taken it to another show I would have sold it for $20, maybe, if anyone was interested. Or I could put it in our local consignment auction with 25% commission and hope someone would bid on it.
I put it on ebay auction starting at $9.99 and it sold for $104.50
The 2 people in the world who really wanted it saw it there, good news for me.
So, despite their high fees (9%) and poor treatment of sellers, ebay is still the place where I can get the best prices.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Whoah nice job! 100+ for a label-only post-prohibition beer is a pretty righteous take. What goodies will you get with the healthy profits?

Reminds me of when I listed an old Frisbee on ebay that I found in someone's garage cleanout garbage. Ended up being a very early Pluto Platter which ended at over 550 bucks. Averaged out, eBay has treated me quite well also.

epackage

Reaction score
I love e-bay and the 9% fee is fine with me, seller treatment needs work for sure, but where else can I reach people around the globe for the stuff I want to sell. I just sold a1960's Appollo Lander model and a 1970's Coor's Tractor Trailer & Reefer model for over $250 and my buddy was gonna take $50 for those 2 and 15 other models. I got him over $450 for the lot and he gave me $150 for selling it for him..... I think E-Bay rocks !!!!!
Jim

georgeoj

Reaction score
I hate to have to say it but I agree with you. Exposing things for sale to the broadest possible market is the road to higher prices. I am amazed, often, by prices that are paid on Ebay.

And the part about treating dealers badly; I sold a jar to a customer in Canada and we agreed on a shipping method that would save him some money. Ebay would have none of that. I had charged the customer just over $12 for shipping and then paid $22 to ship the way that Ebay demanded. George

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: georgeoj

I sold a jar to a customer in Canada and we agreed on a shipping method that would save him some money. Ebay would have none of that. I had charged the customer just over $12 for shipping and then paid $22 to ship the way that Ebay demanded. George
This is why I charge a High Flat Rate Fee to international buyers and amend the invoice when I send it, most international buyers expect to pay high shipping fees, as do I when I buy, but most serious buyers will contact you before the auction ends and you can let them know the shipping will be correct when you send the invoice....Jim

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
There are ways around that georgeo. You can still go to the PO and do it (get tracking) or Paypal shipping may have other options. I would never use the new ebay shipping thing. That ticked me off. I wanted to go FC on something instead of PP. Ebay said no but Paypal said OK.

bne74honda

Reaction score
I do more buying than selling on eBay and I always clarify shipping details before I even bid. Most sellers answer back with charges well below what is calculated/estimated by using eBay.

Brian

woody

Reaction score
I'm doing well right now selling on eBay and I have to agree with everyone else.
Where else can you sell to such a diverse market and get the exposure to people with the same interest as you.
Say what you want about eBay but it is successful for a reason.

jays emporium

Reaction score
On international shipping the only options offered when printing shipping labels through ebay and paypal are International Priority Mail and International Express Mail. The ebay shipping calculator, however, WILL quote International First Class. I just take the package to the post office and ship International First Class for less than half the cost.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229