Wicker covered bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
RE: Wicker cover bottle?

I'm sorry to disappoint all of you who want to see the glass. I just feel for now that its better this way. I've seen quite a bit of wicker but none with the wooden base. I'll admit most of what I've seen in wicker has been newer bottles but even the demi's I see on ebay and the net have complete wicker. My ultimate dream demi is one of those really awesome looking apple shaped ones. The best looking demi I've ever seen in person looks to me to be about 6 gallons. Its a nice looking dark green blob top. Last I saw it, it was sitting in someones front yard. I wanna see if they are interested in selling their "Big Bottle!" Those are some awesome pics above. I love the freeblowns, they're the best and the amount of different colors is amazing as well. Thanx for all of your opinions and pics. This has been an awesome thread. Anyone else have large freeblown demi pics? That almost sounds kinky, lol. Swizzle

GuntherHess

Reaction score

4003.jpg

I actually like the little demijohns better because you can fit a couple of them in a window. The big ones pretty much require thier own window. This is a citron one but the color is hard to capture. It had wicker on it in an antque shop, price was $3.

zanes_antiques

Reaction score

I might as well put a photo up of my demi too even tho I have it in another post as well. So far I haven't seen any other demi's with this type of lip. It's almost like a sarasota water (dbl taperred). I haven't measured the volume yet but that is a quart milk next to it.

0BBD06AB3EB243B7935595375BD5145D.jpg

Attachments

• 0BBD06AB3EB243B7935595375BD5145D.jpg
    0BBD06AB3EB243B7935595375BD5145D.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 85

bne74honda

Reaction score

OH boy.....now what do I do? Just happened onto this thread and seeing the 'de-wickered' demis am now faced with a hard decision.. I picked up this demi from my nephew's grandfather. He brought with him from Portugal some 40 yrs ago. All I can tell is that it's amber. The wicker is in perfect condition, just dirty. Guess I have some thinkin to do....great thread!

Brian

29502A13F4CF44CCBEA4F157FD9354FB.jpg

Attachments

• 29502A13F4CF44CCBEA4F157FD9354FB.jpg
    29502A13F4CF44CCBEA4F157FD9354FB.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 100

swizzle

Reaction score

Personally I'd keep it on. If it didn't display well I'd rip it right off. Ultimately it's your call and you can see all of the opinions everyone else has. If you do decide to rip it off then post some action pics of the destruction to satisfy us glass lovers. What does the wicker look like on the bottom? Can you tell if its pontiled? Swizzle

zanes_antiques

Reaction score

It seems funny to me the there's people out there with such a propensity towards destruction and they also collect bottles....go figure. Hey swiz when I get ready to melt down all my garbage finds I'll video it just for you.

swizzle

Reaction score

Sweet can you add it to the destruction of fuses post? lol Sorry Zane, after being so careful not to break glass everyday its nice to break the tention so to speak. Swizzle

Monsonant

Reaction score

Swizzle ,
Leaving the wicker on is the correct decision ... I have seen a lot of demis and never seen a bottom like that . Not allot of research has been done on the origins of wicker wrappings . A good percentage are European (wine) also many came out of Cuba and the islands that had Rum in them . Bacardi continued wrapping (in the old tradition ) Rum till around the 1920s. Since then a lot of cheap wines from Italy and Portugal were wrapped in demis. These are easy to pick out as new because they used a more leafy / rush wrapping Most of the old American ones look more like sticks. Your looks fairly early to me from what I can see .. looks like a nice big graphite pontil ... What kind of wood is on the base , that would be a good clue if you can tell what it is . If its american and the glass house can be established it will be worth much more with the wicker on . [/align]

newtothebottleworld

Reaction score

swizzle

Reaction score

I might be wrong but the wicker on that one looks almost new. How would I find out what type of wood was used for the base? I would love to know where it was manufactured but how do you go about researching old wicker? Swizzle

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers