Widemouth Case Gin

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite bottles I dug here in Bath,Maine a few years ago. I posted a photo when I first joined the forums but took some better pictures since. Thought some of the newer members would like to see them. From what I have been able to find out this bottle is probably Dutch and dates from 1770-1800 and they were sometimes used to ship apothecary goods or even certain food items. Surprisingly a large stoneware crock was completely crushed lying beside this bottle yet this bottle survived in nearly mint condition. There is a little wear on the base and the edges of the shoulders but not a chip or scratch anywhere. I have yet to see any of these bottles at bottle shows but have heard of a couple in glass museums. I don't plan to part with it any time soon, unless I dig up something better. Enjoy.

Cliff

Om32489.jpg

Attachments

• Om32489.jpg
    Om32489.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 83

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Nice flared lip. Bottle is 9 1/2 in tall and 4 in. square at the shoulder. Must have been good quality glass as only needed to wash it with soap an water after digging it.

Ay75836.jpg

Attachments

• Ay75836.jpg
    Ay75836.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 99

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Cliff, that's a wonderful bottle. Isn't it amazing how something with that fragile of a lip could survive even the toss to the pit much less everything on top of it including the dirt! I believe I would put that in my keeper stash as it would be hard to dig another one like it. [:D] Great dig!! Kelley

Mainepontil

Reaction score
That bottle is a legend Cliff. I've heard the story of you digging it from several different people, some that don't even know you. It's great to see it again.

Joel

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Joel,

Think it will be a while before I dig any better bottles than that one. Amazing how it ever survived damage. Just about as likely as winning the lottery. Just gotta keep on diggin.

Cliff

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Cliff, that is an extraordinary case bottle you got there. I've only seen pieces of those. We used to call them case gin gone wild when we dug up those odd tops. Check the local museum, sometimes they have a picture catologue of old bottle types.

bearswede

Reaction score
That's one fine bottle, my friend... And an incredible story, to boot!!!

Thanks for sharing, Cliff...

Ron

Miles

Reaction score
That's a wonderful bottle!
Did you dig that in the town?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members