wierd rock shaped figural...what is it??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

groundsloth

Reaction score
I dug one of the most unusual bottles of my career the other day.I need help figuring out, what the heck it is.... It looks like a piece of coal or a rock, it has a ground lip, and an small panel where a label would have gone.In the photos it appears to be black, but when back lit - the glass shows a deep purple color. Any knowledge??

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Black amethyst lump of coal. Pretty cool! Although, I wouldn't have expected the ground lip, since most black amethyst glass is from the late 20s and 30s. I love that stuff!

groundsloth

Reaction score
Any ideas as to what it was? Any known links or examples?

Nevadabottles

Reaction score
In a bottle magazine I got it had a similar bottle, except it was from Alaska. It was used for holding milk and was only 6 inches tall. It had a red label on it reading Nuggets- Pure Gold from Klondyke George Smithhisler Mt. Vernon. It was a late 1800's bottle made by George Smithhisler. It also had the screw top and place to put the label.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....Interesting. Never seen this one before but that looks like a whiskey nipper in shape of a coal lump. Looks similar to the Klondike milk glass nipper made popular by the gold rush to Alaska in the late 90's. Yours looks to be same vintage. I suspect Nevadabottles has confused milk glass with milk bottle, as I highly doubt they ever held milk. I have seen a potato shaped one before as well, but I think yours is super scarce if not rare. Very cool find regardless! Jack

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Just looked at that link, and wow! I need to shop there! The prices were ridiculously cheap! Some pretty cool figurals went for nothing! I suspect your coal bottle should bring twice what that one sold for. But that's auctions for ya.....just depends on who's watchin'. Jack

groundsloth

Reaction score
Thanks Jack, When we first pulled the bottle out, we thought is was burned/melted, but on closer inspection it was very surprising!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Cannibal, there were a lot of great deals gotten at that auction. Wish I had the funds to bid. Really wanted some of those pig bottles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday