WWII ACL RED PAINT RATIONING ~ FACT or FICTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey, iggy/Rich

I haven't forgotten about the 1941 through 1944-45 7up bottle timeline I promised you on one the other threads and will put it together the first chance I get.

Bob, No problem. Last minute decision to go with my girlfriend to her cottage this weekend. Home now, she has to work on Mon(Labor Day). I have to catch up on this thread.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey, iggy

It just dawned on me that both of these amber 8 bubble bottles were produced in 1942. Somehow we missed these and thought your green 1942 8 bubble bottle was the first to surface. Hmmm, it seems like we learn something new every day!

Wow, You are right. I never thought to look at the amber squat bottles before for a date in the 40's. Just assuming they were only made in the late 30's. Very interesting???

iggyworf

Reaction score
I finally dug out my swimsuit bottles from all my crates. I do have a 1941 8 bubble with red/orange paint. I also have an all white one with ghost acl in good condition from 1941. It is from Bay city/Saginaw Mi. 2 from 1946 and one from 1948. If anyone would like pics, I can do that tomorrow.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Here we go again!

Another all-white 7up bottle currently on eBay that the seller describes as ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232051002701?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Up for sale is this vintage 7UP bottle from around World War 2. It only has the white
paint on the green bottle. (Presumably, red paint was reserved at the time for the
war effort.)

Notice ...

1. Its an 8 bubble bottle made by Glenshaw Glass
2. It likely dates no later than about 1942
3. It has what appears to be a ghost image of where the red paint used to be

Note: I don't plan on contacting this seller like I did with the last one that closed yesterday
and did not sell. I doubt this one will sell either. Ya gotta wonder where these sellers are
getting their information about the WWII connection which, when you stop and think about it,
probably isn't that big of a mystery because of all the stuff on the Internet that says
as much. But still, I think its a little weird that so many sellers automatically jump on the
"WWII Wagon" just because they have a 7up bottle that's missing the red paint.

Troy, New York (Is not a "west coast" bottler)

View attachment 174542

View attachment 174543

View attachment 174544

Look close at the faded line near the top ...

View attachment 174545

I just made an offer to this person for this bottle. I have been watching it for about a week. I will let you's know if they accept.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Leon

Thanks for the information about WWII cans. Later on I plan to do a brief focus on WWII Glass vs WWII Tin/Steel, which will hopefully add some additional insight on the topic.

If you do that you'll need the check into WPB (War Production Board) order M-81. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Leon

I found some WPB stuff from 1942 for, cans - glass - paint - etc., and will post them after I get them organized.

iggyworf

Reaction score
I just made an offer to this person for this bottle. I have been watching it for about a week. I will let you's know if they accept.

The seller accepted m offer and I hope to get it by next wk tues.

iggyworf

Reaction score

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I'd say it is a 1945. Notice the red paint is wearing off, but the white seems intact ...

7up Bottle 1945 Amber Front.jpg

7up Bottle 1945 Amber Base.jpg

Footnote: If the missing/defective red paint had any direct connection with WWII rationing, then the evidence in support of that theory is totally alluding me. Because there are examples of this occurring as early as 1937 and as late as 1950, I'm seriously leaning toward the possibility that the WWII red paint theory is a total myth.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26