You have to see this, hilarious!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I feel like a few Tylenol every time I read one of these...UGH

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
i hope these people arent finding these posts somehow. how terrible they would feel, but at the same time feeling still so sure they know what they are talking about.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Wow. The seller sure seemed to be smarmy for someone who admits that they don't know for sure what a pontil is. And the funny thing is both Red and Epackage gave it to them straight. They heard it from experts and refused to believe. Instead of gratitude, I smell attitude.

from ebay;

Q:
You can't be serious, side pontil, that's called a chip. Pontils are only on the bottom of bottles, wow that was funny, thanx for the laugh !!!
Apr-10-11

A:
Thanks for your input epackage02. It's very nice to get info from someone who is obviously an expert on everything. It certainly looks like a pontil mark or sprew where the glass was poured or injected into the mold. Of course, I could be wrong...I wasn't there when this bottle was made. Apparently you were. Have a super day!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
The second bottle that mtdfire found is a crown topped bottle with a lightning stopper that has the 'open pontil' markings. Well. The good news, I suppose, is that no-one rewarded their incompetence by bidding on either item. Both closed unsold.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I wasn't there when this bottle was made. Apparently you were.
She really taught you a lesson right there E. I bet you'll be really sorry when she runs away from home and never ever never comes back. Then you're gonna cry.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
If not a pontil, it certainly occurred when this was made. It is on the outside of the bottle and is raised above the rest of the surface.
I've seen glass stick to the mold and pull out some. It sounds odd on a turn mold like this but not out of the question. I don't think it's damage after making from just the pictures. At least lot all of it.
No, I don't think it's a pontil either.[:)]

BillinMo

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

If not a pontil, it certainly occurred when this was made. It is on the outside of the bottle and is raised above the rest of the surface.
I've seen glass stick to the mold and pull out some. It sounds odd on a turn mold like this but not out of the question. I don't think it's damage after making from just the pictures. At least lot all of it.

I've heard that called a "lehr kiss" -- but maybe Red has a different name for it.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: blobbottlebob

I wasn't there when this bottle was made. Apparently you were.
She really taught you a lesson right there E. I bet you'll be really sorry when she runs away from home and never ever never comes back. Then you're gonna cry.
I'm in tears now, maybe I coulda been more of a diplomat, alas that's not always me...[8D]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

I know what you mean Cows, but look at the pic here, there doesn't seem to be any glass pulled outward(looks smooth as , well glass..lol), it looks chipped in the pic below this one...chip appears to be inside the bottle

97EB702036064E8595D63798798EEF29.jpg

Attachments

• 97EB702036064E8595D63798798EEF29.jpg
    97EB702036064E8595D63798798EEF29.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member